• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Vista at Launch??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
tenchi86 said:
Not exactly, a great % of peopel still use 98 and 2k and will probably never use XP.

that maybe true but I wasn't saying they would all be on XP, those on 98 & 2000k will eventually have to migrate to Vista or XP at teh very least at some point. I know there are people still on 98 & even 95 but not many and a lot of them are slowly starting to upgrade now, hell I've done a few of those upgrades myself or pointed them in the right direction to get upgraded.

tenchi86 said:
Just pointing out that many people will not switch, you seem to post that eventually everyone will.

no not nessessarily to Vista but people will have to switch from one to another at some point with no support or programs for much older OS's and is possible b/c Vista is completely different at some point they may have to to get certain every day things to work? who knows...

Probably not though...

gamers will have to in order to get DX10 though.lol

I'll try it once ppl verify that its not the up and coming skynet. In all seriousness DX10 will probably make me go to vista sometime in the future.

Albaholic said:
I'll try it once ppl verify that its not the up and coming skynet. In all seriousness DX10 will probably make me go to vista sometime in the future.

LOL yeah no kidding...I think we have some time before that happens though.lol though I did see something on discovery with this harvard professor of robotics or something implanted these things in his head & body to control his robots & stuff... pretty freaky stuff.

BTW who's that in your avatar? She's very attractive...not sure if I'm just high or what but she looks familar & I can't place her.lol

Last edited:
Wolverine690 said:
LOL yeah no kidding...I think we have some time before that happens though.lol though I did see something on discovery with this harvard professor of robotics or something implanted these things in his head & body to control his robots & stuff... pretty freaky stuff.

BTW who's that in your avatar? She's very attractive...not sure if I'm just high or what but she looks familar & I can't place her.lol

That's Mandy Moore :D

No, I won't switch. From what I've heard, the new features aren't worth buying it for $100-$150. I'll stick with XP for a long while.

Albaholic said:
Could it be you're high and she looks familiar... :p Its mandy moore

LOL damn that's it...I've been sitting here trying to figure it out...the short hair threw me.lol

Skeith said:
I beta tested it from microsofts website, its horrible. Way too graphical and the user interface is verry different. Hardly an upgrade, its a completely different os. Very resource hungry, takes almost 5GB install space and barely runs on a 1Ghz machine with 512MB ram. I wont be making the switch.

What do you think is causing such poort performance? Basically do you notice like RAM all being used, CPU at 100% all the time, etc.

I have the beta too and would like to try it out. I also have enough spare parts to build a tester that is a PIII 1GHz with about 700MB of RAM and an AGP graphics card. Just wondering if it would be worth the time to do or not.

I personally have no need to move to it as im allready using a OS that has most of Vista's new features including some that did not make Vista, so no I will not be moving to Vista at launch.
Im also not convinced that the product activation and WGA situation will improve any and continue further in creating issues for the genuine user rather than the pirate.

UnseenMenace said:
I personally have no need to move to it as im allready using a OS that has most of Vista's new features including some that did not make Vista, so no I will not be moving to Vista at launch.
Im also not convinced that the product activation and WGA situation will improve any and continue further in creating issues for the genuine user rather than the pirate.

So you are a Mac person then? or Unix or Linux? or is it another OS?

And yeah I agree if something isn't done the WGA & such will be a total nightmare but with all the legal actions being taken at the moment for the early stages of it hopefully MS will refine it some and make it less of a hassle to legal users & more of one to hackers.

Wolverine690 said:
So you are a Mac person then? or Unix or Linux? or is it another OS?

Im a Linux user presently however Im always willing to review whatever I use, I hold no loyality to any OS or Application and use what suits my requirements.
Currently due to the fact that I am not a game player everything I need to do can be done so in Linux without requiring the mass of applications needed to protect the system.
I personally got fed up with having to run spyware scanners, antivirus and trojan protection and patch the system as regular as required to keep the system reasonable, this is without mentioning that when doing a full system scan under Windows the computer became unusable for any other task - its this that really made me look for alternatives.
Ive seen no real evidence that this situation has changed greatly under Vista either which is why I will not be moving to it.
My Linux installation it does automated scans for rootkits, the email is very effectively scanned for Spam, and scanned for viruses however when it is doing these tasks the system is still usable which is important for me.
I did not mention the OS I was using as I did not wish for this to become a Linux vs Windows type thread, however I do think that many of the hyped features of Vista are available now and I started the thread displayed below to suggest as such.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=466664

The best statement I have ever seen regarding vista which I believe is correct in every sence of the word is the one made by JaY_III which features in my signature

UnseenMenace said:
Im a Linux user presently however Im always willing to review whatever I use, I hold no loyality to any OS or Application and use what suits my requirements.
Currently due to the fact that I am not a game player everything I need to do can be done so in Linux without requiring the mass of applications needed to protect the system.
I personally got fed up with having to run spyware scanners, antivirus and trojan protection and patch the system as regular as required to keep the system reasonable, this is without mentioning that when doing a full system scan under Windows the computer became unusable for any other task - its this that really made me look for alternatives.
Ive seen no real evidence that this situation has changed greatly under Vista either which is why I will not be moving to it.
My Linux installation it does automated scans for rootkits, the email is very effectively scanned for Spam, and scanned for viruses however when it is doing these tasks the system is still usable which is important for me.
I did not mention the OS I was using as I did not wish for this to become a Linux vs Windows type thread, however I do think that many of the hyped features of Vista are available now and I started the thread displayed below to suggest as such.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=466664

The best statement I have ever seen regarding vista which I believe is correct in every sence of the word is the one made by JaY_III which features in my signature

I don't thnk any OS is better then other except int he users eyes...Every OS has it's own pros & cons & each user needs their OS to do what they want it to. For me I like windows always have it does what I need it to & then sum, sure it's got its probs but it works :)

Back