• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP pro sound problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundfx4

I just recently decided that I was going to move my OS partition over to my faster 8 meg 160 gig HD. Everything went ok, and it booted, I even changed the drive letter to C (of coarse I didn't format my old HD yet just in case, and it is a good thing I didn't) Anyway, I was playing some music the other day and I noticed that it was chopping up every once and a while. I did several tests trying to find out why it was doing this but couldn't find anything! It wasn't just one song either, it was everything that came out of my sound card (onboard btw) and out my speakers. Everytime I play any song, it will chop at random places. It ALWAYS chops, but just not at the same time in the music, (like I said, random :) ) I tried completley uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, and this failed as well. I tryed screwing around with my bios settings, since it is onboard, and nothing. Well I finally decided to try booting back to my old partition and I played a song 2 times in a row with NO chopping! I don't know what is going on! It is an AC'97 Sound chip, or something like that. If anyone has had this problem before or knows whats going on, please let me know. Thanks!

I had similar porblems at one point. I was running off the drivers that came with the MB for sound. I uninstalled and downloaded the drivers through Windows update. This fixed my problem, but I don't understand why :confused:

You may alos want to try disabling (sp?) the sound chip in the bios and uninstall the drivers and reboot with no sound. Then re-enable the sound chip and re-load the drivers either from Windows update or the drivers that came with the MB.

Let me know how you make out.

Dr.

fearless said:
I had similar porblems at one point. I was running off the drivers that came with the MB for sound. I uninstalled and downloaded the drivers through Windows update. This fixed my problem, but I don't understand why :confused:

You may alos want to try disabling (sp?) the sound chip in the bios and uninstall the drivers and reboot with no sound. Then re-enable the sound chip and re-load the drivers either from Windows update or the drivers that came with the MB.

Let me know how you make out.

Dr.

Hey, just tried that out. Still not working :( It automatically installed the drivers thought once I enabled it in the bios. I don't really understand this at all. I have tried disabling my paging file, disableing everything but the windows audio service, and I can't remember everything else. It seams like I never have simple problems. I always have problems that don't make any since even for people that have been working on computers much longer then I have. And what really bugs me also is that this isn't a big windows error problem so there is nothing documented about it. Maybe if I get a new sound card? Do you think that might solve my problem? I really don't know why it would, but if it did, I wouldn't care how, I'd just be happy.

I just thought of this. Should I try to completely reinstall all my drivers? Since it was a copy of a partition, maybe all the drivers are a little messed up. What do you think? (by "you" I mean anyone reading this :D )

So what you are saying is, you just copied everything from the old drive to the new drive? Or did you actually go through a fresh install?

If you didn't do a fresh install, you might want to just give that a try because obviously something on the new HD doesn't like what you've done. ;)

Cube said:
So what you are saying is, you just copied everything from the old drive to the new drive? Or did you actually go through a fresh install?

If you didn't do a fresh install, you might want to just give that a try because obviously something on the new HD doesn't like what you've done. ;)

no, I didn't just copy everything, I used norton ghost to copy the partition. I have used norton ghost before. It is used for backup and things like network OS installs. So it is different from just copying all the files. I might try a fresh install, but I really would rather not if I don't have to.

Back