• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP Security ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

unwrittenLaw

Hi,

Can anyone give me a link or some info on where to find on an XP Pro machine..password files, audit log files, etc...I'm trying to harden some XP Pro computers and I need to find out where exactly these files are located and how vulnerable they could be...

Well, I am not clear on why you need to find those files. If you want better security than MS gave you, then you should be looking at add on software not at messing with what is already there. Would you please offer us more of an explanation as to what you are trying to do?

I would also like to know in what sort of capacity you are working in order to tighten security... Are these machines whose security you are personally responsible for?

Just wondering as this seems to be the forum where people tend to ask shifty questions about things they shouldn't be doing.

In order to find password files, or audit log files, you would need to know what applications or software packages are creating those passwords or logs... Then you can find out what those things do with this sort of information and how to retrieve them.

Most applications store sensitive information in a manner which is in some aspect "secure" - accessing it by means that are unintended often has to be done through a unnoticed or knowingly unpatched vulnerability.

Obviously these are somewhat logical explanations and don't include much actual substance, but without further rationalization or description, I don't think your question as it stands warrants a full answer.

gpedit.msc

:D

and user permissions / groups is the easiest way to lock down system - just make people all guest accounts :D

wow, thanks for the speculation and negativity. i didnt ask people to judge what i'm doing or why i'm doing it. just looking for some info on some areas that i'm not familiar with. the systems i work on can not use 3rd party software for security issues, and yes i am responsible for the systems security, etc. i didn't think this would turn into an interrogation...

why do you need to know 'in what sort of capacity i'm working in..' ? thats not your business, and if you don't like my thread, then dont post in it.

ffs

Well with a thread starting post that so blatanly opens the possibility for mischief and a response like that...

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you were doing something legit... Now it is clear to me that I was wrong to do that.

Good luck with your problem. And your attitude.

all right..since everything to you is so 'blatant' ...give me a break. I work on classified systems so i can't really include details. You're the one with the attitude, pre-judging people on a god damn bulletin board. Very sad.

Go out and get some sun and stop thinking you're doing the world a favor by being Mr. Police on an open forum....dork.

If you want this thread re-opened you will need to lighten up. Flaming simply is not allowed, consider this a warning.

PM me if your ready to be civil, otherwise this thread is dead. :eh?:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back