• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wipe hard drive Mac OS 9

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestrider

So I need to wipe a hard drive on an old Mac PowerPC based iBook running Mac OS 9. What is the best way in doing this?

Normally I would just pop in UBCD, press F12 for a boot menu, and run a quick erase with dban under a Windows environment, but I can't seem to find a way to boot to CD (or any other device for that matter) on a Mac.

Yeah, a bootable OS X CD would be the best way, from there you can use the Disk Utility within the installer to erase the drive with choices of zeroing out up to 35 passes if you'd like. If the iBook lacks a Firewire port then you might need to use an older OS X CD, such as 10.3.

You can also erase the drive using a bootable Linux CD for PowerPC such as openSUSE.

To boot from the CD/DVD drive on a Mac, hold down the "C" key immediately after the startup chord sound.

The easiest and cheapest way is, as said above, linux. Get a small live distro that does PPC and you can do it, plus many have programs to write over the data.

First post recommending non-free software which is completely pointless if I have a PPC live CD... hmm...

Anyhoo, I've used YDL on a mac problem-free.

First post recommending non-free software which is completely pointless if I have a PPC live CD... hmm...

Anyhoo, I've used YDL on a mac problem-free.

Are you referring to my post? I told him how to boot his mac off of a CD, and that was the root issue he was having. :screwy:

Nice to see OCF is as thankful as ever. :D

There was a spammer posting their links right before him. That is probably what he is referring to.

There was a spammer posting their links right before him. That is probably what he is referring to.
lol yup

Hmm, some PPC macs have nice video cards, do the OSS ATi drivers work for them?
If so, you could play a lot of linux games and have a smooth running desktop, although they may need to be compiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back