• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Word Page Numbering

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmh547

I am working on a larger report (50+ pages) and need to have the pages number (obviously) the prof is being a real pain in the @$$ with the page number tho. He wants the Table of contents (TOC) and executive summary to be roman numerals and the rest with numbers. Is there any way to do this aside from physically typing in the numbers by hand?

Hrm, I would suggest splitting them into multiple documents. It's kindof a PITA but might be your best bet. Also, consider asking the prof how to do it. If he wants it that way, there is at least a chance it is because he knows how to do it.

He told me "I can't do it but I know it can be done..." i figured out how to do the roman numeral thing

In place of the page number in the footer:
Code:
{IF {PAGE} < 3 "{PAGE \* ROMAN}" "{={PAGE}-2}"

This makes the first two pages Roman and the rest normal. But the TOC will not read the the roman....

Ok problem solved i used these "RD" pointer thingys and made three docs. My problem now is that i have upper case roman for the exec summary and toc and lowercase for the references and all the appendixes however the lowercase roman numarals shows up uppercase in the toc. any way to fix this?

jmh547 said:
Ok problem solved i used these "RD" pointer thingys and made three docs. My problem now is that i have upper case roman for the exec summary and toc and lowercase for the references and all the appendixes however the lowercase roman numarals shows up uppercase in the toc. any way to fix this?
You need to use a special break, go to Insert<Break<Continuous Break. Add this where you want it to stop counting roman numerals. After inserting the break, you need to go to the first header after the break and have the "Header and Footer" toolbar open. The button "Link to Previous" will be 'lit'. Deselect the button (click it) and it will detach itself from the previous headers/footers. You can then start numbering at 1. I have tested this in a test Word document and it works, if you would like, I can send it to your for an example.

Thideras

EDIT: And your roman numbering thing...why are you going through the trouble? If you click the # symbol that is on the page (it is an icon), it pops up a window that asks what kind of number you want to do. Pic added.

romannumerals.jpg

If you have any other questions about the Office series, I'd be happy to help...as I've taken the training for it...lol, might as well us it.

Last edited:
Back