• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WRT400N resets (possible fix?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alzerm

I know this router is known for having some drops in connection but I think I may have finally found a fix for it. Before I get to what I tweaked to get the drops to stop I have a few questions.

With the Linksys firmware can I setup a syslog to monitor for any drops? Also with that same sort of monitoring allow me to monitor my throughput?

My current firmware is 1.0.02 build 11

I was using this router months back and it was dropping connection every once in a while so I swapped it out. I looked around a few weeks ago just to see if anyone had found a fix and I came across this in the Linksys support forums. http://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/WRT400n-drops-signal/td-p/486590

The tweaks on my 2.4Ghz appear to have fixed the drops since I haven't noticed drops in connectivity since connecting it again.

These are the settings that were changed as suggested on the other forum

MTU was left on auto (didn't feel like looking for my limit again)
Mixed network mode
Channel width 20Mhz only
Standard channel 11
Beacon interval 75
Frag threshold 2306
RTS threshold 2304

What exactly do changes to the beacon interval and Frag/RTS thresholds do? I am a CIS student and we didn't cover anything of this sort in CCNA or in CCNP (I think it might be since it was based on enterprise level equipment lol). Closest thing to this I remember covering was DCE clock rates haha.

I'm just trying to understand my hardware a bit better because I have another WRT400N router running DD-WRT firmware that is experiencing drops.

Back