• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xfinity/Comcast cable modem compatibility.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HankB

I'm confused. If I go to https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/customerinfo and key in my zip code (60190) the only Arris modem that comes up is the SB8200. At about $185 I'm certain it is a very capable modem. If I go to
Amazon or The Egg there are many more Arris modems that are listed as compatible with Xfinity/Comcast. There is even one listed in the Classifieds (last time I looked.) Is Comcast just not listing the less expensive modems or have they dropped support for these (and the vendor listings hav

At present I'm using an Arris SB6121 and Comcast has started inserting popups in web pages to notify me that I'll get better speed if I upgrade to a supported device. (Not really happy with them inserting popups in random web pages... :mad:) I'm happy with the speeds I get now (135 down and ~12 up.) Actually I'm not thrilled with the speed up but I doubt that a new model will affect that.

I'm left wondering what the implications of using an unsupported device are. (It was supported when purchased.) Does this mean that Comcast says "can't help" if I experience any difficulty? Does it mean that Comcast will shut down my Internet?

Back