• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xfx 8600gts on its way

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imnotplutonium

my friend's g/f and I got together to buy him a new video card. This is what he picked out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150226

seems pretty nice. the price was a little steep but just under our expected budget. I'll have him run some benchmarks and stuff and i'll let you guys know. only problem is im afraid his p/s might not take it. I have a spare 400W sitting around i'll see if that helps. I am scared to say I think he is only sporting a 300W. hope she'll hold

imnotplutonium said:
am scared to say I think he is only sporting a 300W. hope she'll hold
Yikes, I don't think it's smart to put that card in a system with only a 300 watt power supply......

I would definetely hold off until:
a. you give him your 400 watter (if its a name brand) or
b. buy a new name brand power supply with around 500 or so watts (should be plenty)

really? is it dangerous for the card or something? I figured it would just crash if it did not work. and if that happened I would try my basically new Antec 400W p/s. if that worked I would sell it to him for cheap.

I would pass on the XFX 8600GTS 256DDR3

Check this review, the way to go is the 8600GT and overclock it , a good chunk cheaper and nearly as good the GTS overclocked worth beans but that could just be one case

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/486/16/

Your best value to cost is the XFX 8600 GT at 620/1.6 it reached the GTS core and 1.72 on mem requires no molex power supply and uses very little power I think like 41 watts

It is the new 7600 GT DX10 card. I am tempted but I think it is better of to save for a 8800GTS 320MB, the 8600 GT cards struggle with the higher res

ncix.com has the XFX 8600GT XXX on at 179 canadian directcanada.com has it a $169 canadian or about 147 US

Last edited:
well the card has already been purchased. I am sure it will be a huge improvement over this 7300gs. He only runs like 1320x768 or something res. I guess it is not the best bang for buck but I think it will be pretty good.

This is from the legitreviews link that was posted:

Power requirements are low with the 8600 GT needing a 300W PSU and 8600 GTS asking for a 350W.

Back