• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp1700 problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gessfk

Okay, so I put an xp1700(palomino, cpustepping:A5) in an old kg7-r mobo. So I've already been having problems, and I don't know what's causing it, but it kinda freezes at random times for a few seconds, and whenever I open a movie, it skips like 4 times, then plays. So anyway, now that I put this cpu in, and whenever I try to play a game, it locks up. I was trying to overclock it a little bit, but it never got hot enough to damage it. However, when I was testing the FSB, I was just going into the bios, setting it, then saving and exiting. If it booted, I'd go back to bios, raise it one, wait a few seconds, then do it again. Could this have messed it up?

I should mention that I cleaned the heasink/cpu off with rubbing alchohol, as I think that was safe. I tried putting it on, but couldn't get it on. So I took it off, took the thermal paste off of it and the heatsink with rubbing alchohol, but it was giving me some trouble, so I used nail polish remover on the heatsink. I'm wondering, could nail polish remover had screwed something up if I put the heatsink back on too early and it got on the cpu? I wiped it off again with rubbing after I was done I think, but then I put the paste on after I wiped it off with a napkin I think, and put it back on, and got it on this time.

!!!!Another thing, I guess this thing was penciled in to unlock the overclock..now if I accidently smudged or wiped off some of that, could that cause something like this to happen? because that is very possible and probably the most likely thing that might be messing stuff up. It seemed like no matter what I did when I was trying to OC it, it wouldn't go past 1640mhz either, and also, when I'd do like say 12x140, it wouldn't say 1680, it'd say lower..or it seemed like it'd always say a lower number of mhz than the multiplier x the FSB.

So when I was trying to check the fsb, i should mention, it booted up, I ran a memory test in everest, and then like the icons and stuff on my desktop were chinese and had squares and stuff, and like half of my icons were missing.

That's about everything I can think of, but it seems like it crashes when I'm in games or trying to load one (hl2) for some reason.. I ran a game(starcraft) and let it sit idle in a chat room (it uses 100% cpu in battle.net) and it didn't seem to restart, i left it open for like 5 minutes before I started doing the OC **** mentioned above..and it didn't restart. But it seems to be running okay when I'm -not- playing games.. and it's at 32c, so it's not hot.. thanks for reading all this.

Adding this one thing, sometimes it sounds like the cpu is making some noise, like a clicking maybe.. almost like a hard drive, but my hard drives don't make that noise..I dunno what it is.

-Weird, and now a few minutes after posting this, all of my internet cache and cookies are gone. Maybe my hard drives are wigging out.

Okay, apparently my comp freezes when I open my virus scanner as well. I'm starting to think that the restarts are caused by some kind of malfunction in one of the instruction sets or something. Like, the programs that are using one of those special instructions, so it runs faster or whatever, is messing up and freezing my computer. IE must not use any of those, because it is working fine, if my theory is correct

Hmm..now my internet cache and cookies are back. I'm thinking it's my hard drives now, hmm........ I hate my computer.

When it freezes, it makes a lot of static noise too..not sure what that is about.

okay, it also does freeze if I just surf the web, after about 20 minutes or so

Last edited:
also if someone can tell me how to unlock an xp1700 palomino, is it just like the Tbird althlon 1.0ghz? L1.:::: to L1.||||

Im no expert but I think when you smudged the pencil u may have shorted the proc, do u have another one to test if it does the same because it could be your mobo or memory even.

could be a number of things. The nail polish remover if it was still wet could have corroded the resistors next to the die on the processor. The rubbing alcohol should be safe though.

Also what kind of thermal paste do you use? If you use something like artic silver or some kind of silver or alimnum paste and it spread on your cpu and not just your dieit could be shorting out.

Also if you did wipe away the ink or solder used to bridge the connections on the L1 brackets on you cpu that coul have something to do with it. if you partially wiped one of them away or smeared all of them they could be making a miscontact or something shorting the cpu.

I doubt it's your hardrives. It also could be your graphics card going bad too. I've seen graphics cards give ill symptoms like that too.

I have also seen a dead CPU give symptoms like that but they are usually more dramatic if it is dead and can still boot.

Give more info about your system. Are you overclocked right now? Does it pass memtest or prime? Do anyof the heatsinks feel warm or hot to the touch, not going by your temp sensor. What kind of graphics card do you have. Does it have stock cooling or not? Do you overclock it? What are your voltages set at?

If you could take a couple of high res pictures of your cpu, specifically the l1 bridges and post them up here.

could be a number of things. The nail polish remover if it was still wet could have corroded the resistors next to the die on the processor. The rubbing alcohol should be safe though.
-I see...****. But it's okay on the die? I don't think I'd get any on any of the other stuff, hopefully

Also what kind of thermal paste do you use? If you use something like artic silver or some kind of silver or alimnum paste and it spread on your cpu and not just your dieit could be shorting out.
-I used some thermaltake thermal paste.. on the reciept it said lithium grease

Also if you did wipe away the ink or solder used to bridge the connections on the L1 brackets on you cpu that coul have something to do with it. if you partially wiped one of them away or smeared all of them they could be making a miscontact or something shorting the cpu.
-This might be what the problem is I think, I was cleaning some **** off around the cpu with rubbing alchohol, and it seemed dirty like dust, and I'm noot sure if I went over the L1 stuff, but I might have not noticed it fast enough or something..I need to know how to redo it. Just cross the L1's like this L1.:::: L1.|||| ? it almost looked like the person before had it in a circle, like L1.|==|

I doubt it's your hardrives. It also could be your graphics card going bad too. I've seen graphics cards give ill symptoms like that too.
-Maybe, but it was working pretty good previously before I switched cpus, and actually ran the games.

I have also seen a dead CPU give symptoms like that but they are usually more dramatic if it is dead and can still boot.
-Yeah, but the weird symbol thing that one time made me wonder big time and the missing icons..was weird stuff

Give more info about your system. Are you overclocked right now? Does it pass memtest or prime? Do anyof the heatsinks feel warm or hot to the touch, not going by your temp sensor. What kind of graphics card do you have. Does it have stock cooling or not? Do you overclock it? What are your voltages set at?
-Nah, not overclocked. Like I explained, I tried to overclock, but then thought maybe it was causing the problems, so I just reset everything. It passes Everest memtest and sisoftsandra memtests. None of the heatsinks are remotely warm, I can't really feel the chipset one, but when I turn a house fan on the case, it lowers..so I think it's working, and shouldn't have a reason to not work. I use this video card http://www.overclockers.co.nz/ocnz/review.php?id=04vga00r9800promsi00000r9800pro0105 and use the stock cooling, but am not currently ocing it. I have before though.
My Voltages: (taken from VIA HWM)
vcore value=1.175
2.5v=2.60
3.3v=3.40
5v=4.95
12v=11.95 or 12.01. It seems to be changing every couple of seconds
I believe the memory is at 2.65v from bios memory.

If you could take a couple of high res pictures of your cpu, specifically the l1 bridges and post them up here.
-Ah, I wish I had a digital camera more and more each day..maybe next paycheck :(

My Voltages: (taken from VIA HWM) vcore value=1.175 2.5v=2.60 3.3v=3.40 5v=4.95 12v=11.95 or 12.01. It seems to be changing every couple of seconds I believe the memory is at 2.65v from bios memory. :([/QUOTE said:
Is that a typing error or are you really running the vcore at 1.175v, Seems low as stock should be at least 1.6v.

actually if thats a pally it should be more like 1.75 stock... maybe 1.7 if you got a good stepping

Lithium is still a metal and can still make contact. All though its more unlikely with lithium check that.

With the Pali's you cross the L1 bridges just they way your thinking but with a conductive pen or solder, a pencil wont be enough. Unless your good at doing this I would suggest just cleaning off all the contacts on the processors.

Back