• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

You need to use the new core: Proof!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
will the core automatically update itself over time? some of my amd rigs are out in the field and can't really get to them to update.

Maxvla said:
will the core automatically update itself over time? some of my amd rigs are out in the field and can't really get to them to update.

Stanford will change it automatically once they are 100% sure it's ready for upgrade.

Man I hope I'm alone on this one. The 3200+ that I've updatd here at work is acting up again. I first saw trouble on friday at the end of the day so I just switched back to -forceasm so it would fold over the weekend. I finally got to it again today to try to fix it.

I deleted the work folder and everything in the folding folder but the beta core. I downloaded a new console from stanford and started it back up using -forseSSE and it ran for a few hours ok but froze up again a bit ago. Now I need to switch it back to -forceasm just to keep it stable.

The machine just sits there all day, nothing else is running on it. It's an off-the-shelf HP a430n except for RAM upgraded to 1 gig. I have not seen anyone else report problems with this so maybe I'm the only one - I hope so. But keep an eye on your rigs just in case.

Orangebug

Wow this new core is faster. I have one of those p258_NpN protiens and was getting 12:01 per frame with forcesse on the old 1.55 core. With the new core I'm getting 11:13 per frame. Almost a whole minute off. :D

orangebug said:
Man I hope I'm alone on this one. The 3200+ that I've updatd here at work is acting up again.

Orangebug

OB,

Are you using the beta client AND the new core? It sounds like you might be switched up between the core and the client (or I'm retarded and just read it wrong).

The new core works with the client 4.0 which should make your AMD run stable while using the -forceSSE flag.

Wedo

A team mate of mine at Short-Media posted today that 1.56 is in general release now; all you have to do is to delete your present core and it will automatically download 1.56. You don't have to get it from the beta core page any more.

mudd

muddocktor said:
A team mate of mine at Short-Media posted today that 1.56 is in general release now; all you have to do is to delete your present core and it will automatically download 1.56. You don't have to get it from the beta core page any more.

mudd
Yep, just tested it out, the new 1.56 core is out in release!

Wedo said:

Are you using the beta client AND the new core? It sounds like you might be switched up between the core and the client (or I'm retarded and just read it wrong).

I'm using the beta (now general release) core with the FAH4 console client. I'm starting the program up using EMIII because it's easier to change the flags that way. It runs well with low frame times and everything for a while but eventually locks up on me and needs to be rebooted.

Is it possible that -forceSSE makes the processor run hotter or something? You think this might just be pointing out instability elsewhere in the machine? It's not my job to go poking around inside these machines so I'll just have to deal with the reduced production.

It's good to hear that the core is now fully released and that apparently nobody else is having issues with this. FOLD ON!!

Orangebug

orangebug,

Have you previously used the forceSSE flag? Gromacs bring out instabilities in your machine, even some that prime95 won't find. If these are your first gromacs, your machine might be slightly unstable. Try bumping up the vcore a notch?

Yeah, when I first started folding on this machine I set it up for SSE but it froze up after a week or so of folding. I freezes up much quicker now. Since it's a work machine and I'm not the adminstrator, I'm not going to do any bunping or tweaking or fiddling, just let it run with the 3Dnow and be happy with that.

Orangebug

I can't be abolutely sure, but I might have dropped a degree or two in temps with the new core. My tbredA was hopelessly unstable on the old one, but when I had a run of more or less stable units back in the summer, it was running 3 degrees hotter on gromacs than tinkers, I just switched to the new core from tinkers on that rig, and the temp didn't change!

I had some trouble on a pally rig with that core, not sure if MBM5 was part of it, but it has been running okay now. Might be some K7S5A issue because that board was known in the past to have some SSE problems.

Using SSE does make the cores hotter. They use all sections of the core to do SSE. With 3Dnow! The SSE Section of the core is not in use making the chip run cooler. I get 1-2 degrees hotter on SSE and it does bring the instablities out. I had to back my machine down 2 mhz to make it 100% Stable even when Prime had no errors.

Back