• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

You'd be a damned fool not to use drive imaging software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i got no floppy :), is there a HDD imaging soft that can boot from CD? i can burn the HD image on a DVDR, i'm sure 4.3GB is enough for window and all the software n stuff :) booting from a DVDRW or DVDR will be best, i've never used drive imaging software before, so i'm pretty clueless.

Hello. Even though floppy drives are now $5 at most local corner computer stores, you don't have to use floppies, just start the program from within Windows to save Drive Image files to either another partition or directly to CDs. Drive Image 2002 can do this + when it makes the backup CDs, it makes them automatically bootable: the CDs boot up with the Drive Image program which runs directly from those backup CDs since the program only takes 1.5 MBs of space or so.

This thread is from July 2003, watch out for moderators looking to shut it down because it doesn't discuss AMD CPUs specifically.

Also watch out for people making fun of other people without floppy drives, like this guy here: ( :) j/k )

bad4u said:
Is it a 'cool factor' thing to build a system without a floppy? Are floppies too retro?

How cool is it when the only method you have to flash your BIOS is via Windows, and your system is unstable? That's an outstanding formula for smoking your BIOS chip!

There are numerous diagnostic programs and utilities that are written to run only from a floppy. Perhaps you won't need them, but you probably will find them useful.

Get a floppy. Hide it when your friends are visiting. Buy one just before store-closing, so no one sees you.

If you already have the Drive Image or partition Magic floppies, you can make a bootable CD out of them since the CD loads faster than a floppy drive. I couldn't find clear instructions on the web on how to do this so I made my own which I can share with you all:

How to make Drive Image 2002 and Partition Magic 8 bootable CD

Simply taking Drive Image 2002 or Partition Magic 8 bootable floppies and making a bootable CD out of them does not work.

The contents of the following three floppy disks will be needed instead:
• Windows 98 installation floppy
• Drive Image 2002 Program floppy
• Partition Magic 8 Program floppy

========

1. Copy the contents of Windows 98 installation floppy into a new folder (name it for example, DIPM).
2. Inside the new folder DIPM, create two new folders (name them for example, DI and PM).
3. Copy the contents of Drive Image 2002 Program floppy into the new DI folder and
Copy the contents of Partition Magic 8 Program floppy into the new PM folder.

4. Then, copy file MOUSE.COM from PM folder to DI folder so that both of them have MOUSE.COM files.

========

Now crate a bootable CD:

1. Put the Windows 98 installation floppy in the floppy drive. [If you have no floppy drive, skip the next set of instructions.]

2. Start Nero Burning Rom (click on Close Wizard if it starts.)
3. On the left side, select CD-ROM Boot (scroll down, 8th from the top.)
4. Click on New (right upper side.)

5. Add all the contents of the folder DIPM created above and Burn the CD.

========

To use the bootable CD,

1. Start the computer with the bootable CD [One way to do that is by selecting the boot order in BIOS.]
2. When you get to DOS prompt [if the CD drive letter is D]:

For Drive Image, type:
D:
Press Enter
CD DI
Press Enter
PQDI
Press Enter

or for Partition Magic, type:
D:
Press Enter
CD PM
Press Enter
PQMAGIC.EXE
Press Enter

========

If you have no floppy drive:

1. Folder containing the contents of the Windows 98 installation floppy should be named for example, 98.

2. Start WinImage program > File > New... > OK
3. Image > Inject... > Select all files in the 98 folder > Open > Yes
4. File Save As... >
where it says File name type for example IMAGE
where it says Save as type, select Image file (*.IMA)
> Save

Exit WinImage and use the newly crated image.IMA file in Nero Burning ROM like this:

5. Start Nero Burning Rom (click on Close Wizard if it starts.)
6. On the left side, select CD-ROM Boot (scroll down, 8th from the top)
7. Click on Boot TAB > under Source of boot image data, select Image file > Browse to image.IMA file and select it.
8. Click on New (right upper side)

9. Add all the contents of the folder DIPM created above and Burn the CD.

========

Drive Image 2002 - Partition Magic 8 Bootable CD

After using this CD to "boot with CD ROM support,"
switch to another drive, for example:

G: [Enter]
cd di [Enter]
pqdi [Enter]

or

G: [Enter]
cd pmi [Enter]
pqmagic [Enter]

Letter for Drive G: may be different, depending on how many hard drives are installed.

Last edited:
Back