• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

comp not starting up!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dc5e

I'm new to watercooling and i just tested my stuff, i put in my waterblock and turned on my comp... nothing showed, no beeps, my comp sounded like it turned on regularly but the hdd light was constantly lit..... when i looked around, i saw no leaks and nothing wrong with it, the waterblock still seemed fairly cool. i duno why it won't start up!!! ahh

Before i tested the waterblock, i was using a volcano 7 and it worked fine, now when i put volcano 7 back in, it still doesn't start up

i made my waterblock from a heatsink because i'm cheap and i sealed it up. I tested it before for leaks and there were none, and to mount it onto the motherboard, i took my old dragon orb 3 clip which fit perfectly and it went in. I also used as3.

i'm pretty sure i didn't crush my cpu because the base of my waterblock was a lil thinner than the dragonorb3 heatsink, and it still was pretty tight....

i also took out my gfx card to see if the comp would beep but it didn't, normally without the gfx card it would make 3 beeps.

need hlp plz!

hmm i'll try reseting the bios... i didn't even oc too!

wait, does it display the bios confirmatin and your system specs when you turn it on or does the screen stay completly blank?

time for customary greeting:

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

check your ram, reseat it. i did the same with my dad's comp, i bumped the ram by accident and the thing wouldn't post. reseated the ram and everything was alrighit.

tryed didnt help. .... hm, not to hijack your thread but since this thread seems to be consentration on this, here is my problem:

I have an athlon xp motherboard and athlon XP 1700. When I got it recently I set everything up, minimum, just mb, cpu, ram. And turned it on. It worked. Then I waited a while tryed to turn on again, blank screen, fan spins but no bios no basic info, just blank. So I gave up for some time. A week later I turn it on again and it works. I put hd mouse, key board, cd rom on it and try again,..... doesnt turn on!? I take them all off and try again ... nothing.

since then it doesnt run on. No bios beep, no nothing, fan spins though. Another interesting thing is that when i try to turn it on with no memory it doesnt beep crazy like mb do whent here is no ram.

the mb is outside the case on its box, so its not shorting. I have tryed 2 ps's. Both tested and work fine. One 100W from a mini case, other 300W, came with the case I ordeded for this computer.

I have tryed to clear the cmos, didnt help.

this is the board:
http://www.pcchips.com.tw/product/M810Lv71a.html

I hope someone can help, I am getting pretty desperate here.

If the screen is blank but the Hardrive light moves maybe its your video card. Try puting in a floppy and see if it tries to load after a few seconds.

hmmm i doubt its my vid card cause if I took it out my comp would beep... which it didn't

yeah, epion your heatsink or wahtever type of cooling you have might not be making good contact. might want to take it off and see what kind of an imprint is on your as3

I tryed different vid cards so its not that.

this is another computer I am making and havent gotten to supercooling it yet, just trying to get it to work. I have the heatsink/fan cooler that came with the board. It is making very good contact, so good I thought I cracked the cpu! but on close examination I realized that I didnt.

btw, you know how the motherboard beeps crazy if you turn it on with no ram, well if the cpu is dead does it still beep?

Another interesting thing is that when i try to turn it on with no memory it doesnt beep crazy like mb do whent here is no ram.

I think your block is sitting too tight against the cpu and pushing it down so much it dosen't make good contact with the pins.

The order in which the beeping goes is CPU RAM VIDEO HD. If you can't get RAM to beep, the CPU's either dead, or not making any contact with the pins.

Take the block off and reattach it carefully. I use to have this problem whenever I'd use a shim. If you have a shim, throw it away never to be used again.

Just make sure you don'tput it on too loose or too tight. Also sniff your cpu while you have it out and see if it has a burnt smell. If it dose grind the corners off of it drill a hole somewhere, and say hi the the most expencive keychain you've ever had!

OH MY GOD!!!! I THINK THAT MIGHT BE IT!! btw I am using a heatsing/fan cooler not a waterblock BUT it is VERY VERY VERY tight, can bearly get it on, I will try that now thanks!

A fan may need to be plugged into your cpu fan plug in order for the board to post. Mine is like that. Now that you are watercooling I bet you don't have a fan plugged in there.
Sounds too simple but it happened to me (that's what I get for only glossing over the mb manual).

Yeah, what gone_fishin said. That happened to me when I first
went to W/C. The BIOS had some "Stop on Error" options, and
one of them was "No CPU Fan". Couldn't get the stupid thing to
even let me into the BIOS until I put the HSF back on - then I
found it, and turned it Off - no more problem.

GRRR!!! that wasnt it. I have reasons to belive the cpu is dead. Is it possible for the cpu (athlon XP 1700) to be burned out and still look fine on the outside? Form the pics I have seen they look a mess once they overheat.

Yeah, unless they catch fire you'll never know it by looking.

Take a good deep sniff of it with your nose pretty close to it. You'll know you smell burnt silicone when you smell it. I've found it to be the sure fire way of telling...

Back