• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Peltier with Volcano7+ HSF?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr Bond

I'm currently running an AthlonXP 2500+ (barton) on an epox 8rda+ using a Volcano7+ and a couple of case fans (450W PSU).

I take my PC to LANs etc. so a water cooling/phase change setup isn't practical for me. Hence, I'm trying to get the most out of my air cooled setup.

Anyway, for those who know, what would likely happen if I sandwiched a heatspreader and 80W peltier between the CPU and my V7+ HSF (I'll adjust the clamp and get a peltier PSU etc.)? I'm not looking for super-efficient cooling here (no peltier on air will be), but a difference of 10-15C would make it worthwhile for me. I would be running the barton at Vcores up to 1.95-2V which should let me hit 2.4-2.6Ghz. Also, the V7+ HS is rated at 0.32C/W. Will this work? What do I need to prevent condensation wrecking my board/CPU?

You can see the peltier products I'd be using @(http://www.silverprop.com/sp/shop.asp#tecombo)

umm.. if you wanna get more out of the V7+, i's put a different fan on there (bigger, more flow) i made a dhroud for mine out of the plastic from an ice cream bucket and some duct

well alot of duct tape....

this helped my temps on the P1 ( i know.. P1 ROFL) running at 3.54 V core drop temps by like 6ºC then i lapped the core of the CPU and dropped another 10.....

but it's worth adding the fan, especially if you're gonna be tryin to keep up with a pelt that'll keep up with the CPU (and 80 watts wond do it :( )

You can bring watercooling to LAN party of course, if you made everything in the case. A lot of people done that, and thats what I am doing now, everything within the case, bring it anywhere you want.

TEC + (Air/heatsink) x C > Air/heatsink x C

Serious overclocking and aircooled TEC-setup seldom match.

80W TEC can only be used for Pentium 1 and P2 products. Most of the P3's will overpower it and definetly anything from AMD will likely kill it.

Like people said even the meanest of coolers with the meanest of TECs can't handle more than 50-70W processorheat, after that it's the temps starting to rise well beyond ambient.

Not to mention the secondary problem, the hot air from the heatsink (think like 45-50 C whirlwind) will flood your case!

It's a tricky balance act using TECs. For some light overclocking and a slightly undervolted 226W TEC you might get away with just subambient temps on cpu. Mind you that you have to triple the case ventilation to deal with the hot air from the heatsink.
If you give more juice to the TEC it will generate more cooling but also higher hotside temps and the net gain is nothing or worse off than before. Balance is the key....

Re: TEC + (Air/heatsink) x C > Air/heatsink x C

Paxmax said:
Serious overclocking and aircooled TEC-setup seldom match.

80W TEC can only be used for Pentium 1 and P2 products. Most of the P3's will overpower it and definetly anything from AMD will likely kill it.

Like people said even the meanest of coolers with the meanest of TECs can't handle more than 50-70W processorheat, after that it's the temps starting to rise well beyond ambient.

I disagree, I've had a PEP66 (0.37 C/W) + 62W TEC + Delta screamer running on my PIII 600 for about a year.
Before I was stuck at ~800MHz, the TEC took me to 888 (2.05V) and temps never went over 30C (24-25C average, ambient 20-22C).
With the same setup on my Tualeron 1.2 @1.6 (1.7V) temps were ~2C over ambient.
I also used a 54W TEC on my Tualeron 1.2 @ 1.6+, but that was just a bit too much for the TEC.

donny_paycheck ran a Swiftech MCX462 with 68CFM 80mm Delta fan and a 80W TEC on a Athlon XP 1800+(1533)@1800mhz(12x150), 1.75vcore
Idle in CMOS: -2C
Full load in win xp, Prime95 for 15 minutes: 11C
The temperature was measured with a digidoc 5 thermocouple that I stuck into a hole I drilled in the corner of the cold plate. I also have a sensor in the HS itself that I watch once in a while but it's usually only around 30C max.

BTW: I'm gonna get a better HSF and a 80W TEC and we'll see what happens.

Okay KILLorBE... but I said "seldom" :)

Well, from your temps and stuff I can say that It adds up if your cooler is far more efficient than stated or your cpu were never under full load.

Your cpu is capable of delivering about 40 to 45W overclocked as stated, added to heatsink.
Your TEC will add 50-60W heat to heatsink
Your TEC will cool about 50-55W

The heatsink should be about 30 to 37C above ambient.
The tempdifference between hot/cold side (decided by TEC) is only 16-17 C !

So deducting 17(temperature difference) from ambient(20) + heatsink temp increase(30) = 33C best case scenario.

Mr Bond: A barton at thoose speeds and voltage will use 110W !! Not even a 120W TEC will make the situation better.

Last edited:
four4875 said:
umm.. if you wanna get more out of the V7+, i's put a different fan on there (bigger, more flow) i made a dhroud for mine out of the plastic from an ice cream bucket and some duct

well alot of duct tape....

this helped my temps on the P1 ( i know.. P1 ROFL) running at 3.54 V core drop temps by like 6ºC then i lapped the core of the CPU and dropped another 10.....

but it's worth adding the fan, especially if you're gonna be tryin to keep up with a pelt that'll keep up with the CPU (and 80 watts wond do it :( )

just put a smt fan 2 on. those are awsome fans!!!

Back