• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alternative blue uv water dye

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Imacrzyprsn

Does anyone know an alternative liquid that is safe that I can use to die my water uv reactive blue? I think I read there is stuff that I can pick up at auto parts stores or at the grocery store but I don't know exactly what or if anyone knows if they are safe. If you can give me any tips or clues I would be grateful. Thanks much guys.

At an auto parts store ask for UV leak detection. At a supermarket I have heard woolite or Rit but both dont work that great. Also you could try getting a blue highlighter marker and draining it into the water.

The Rit whitener/brightener works fantastic, it's very concentrated and uv-reactive. You should be able to find it in most supermarkets or variety stores where laundry detergents and fabric care products are sold.

Cheap, too! An 8-oz. bottle goes for $2~$4, depending upon where you purchase, and is enough to treat many gallons of water.

If you're looking for brilliant blue under the uv, I highly recommend it.

I got dtek blue dye, and, well, it sucks. Ithink.

How much shouldi put into a system with about 1 gallon of water or less in it? I may have put to much in it and made it not react well.

WejRepus said:
rmonster, do you have any pics of the Rit in a w/c system?

Well, I can give a quick snap with a webcam if you can overlook the low quality. The pic is inside an external box, I used the dye for leak-checking with a portable uv-lamp.

site1008.jpg

The pic was snapped in a project-box with the lid opened in normal room lighting with a uv-lamp beside the res. If you'll look at the bottom of the res, you might notice a stain on the bottom of the container... That Rit is pretty strong, that's the remnant of a spill that I attempted to clean, but it shows up under uv no matter what I try....

Anyway, the actual color isn't quite what you see in the pic, but maybe it'll give you an idea, it's light blue and almost opaque under uv.

Last edited:
my avatar pic is of the rit whitener and brightener. I got it from walmart in a little box that comes in powder form. Works great.

Back