• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

should you cool you NB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chris_F

Is there any reason to cool your Northbridge?

I was thinking that I could attach a heatsink if it would help. I could even add a small NB sized fan.

Would this help?

depends. If you don't overclock, there's no real need to cool it. If you do, its probably a wise idea to put at least a passive zalman heatsink there.

some northbridge chipsets, like the nForce2 in particular, give off more heat than others, so one should consider active cooling for those mobos.

I have the Zalman NB on my Abit KX7 mobo. I OC the crap out of it and it runs fine passively. Runs better passively then it did with the stock equipment it had.

You should cool it whether overclocking or not. It still generates some heat, and might as well make it so the heat doesn't end up destroying something else nearby.

I found it made my old Compaq 533 more stable when I installed a passive NB heatsink to it.

And Nitro: Thats a sweet motherboard you got there - one of the stablest mobo's I've had :)

Heat=Bad anything you can doo to cool down parts is a good idea, plus cooling the north bridge is not hard at all.

Think I over did it? :D

P5260051.JPG

Running my NB at 1.7V, so I think it's not too bad :D Besides, it's a pretty decent HS(Thermalright...can't remember the model) for a very very cheap price. Besides,the heatsink is pretty hot to the touch, so it's doing its job :D

Last edited:
My friend said I wouldn't need any kind of upgrade from the a7n8x dlx NB cooling unless I planned on going over 200fsb... I do :)

Nanidin said:
My friend said I wouldn't need any kind of upgrade from the a7n8x dlx NB cooling unless I planned on going over 200fsb... I do :)

Should i put a fan on my a7n8x dlx ver2 northbridge? like alittlefan that will fit perfectly over it, i got one in my hand righ tnow..how come ionly see heatsinks on it and no fans?

I guess passive cooling is usually enough but if you're overclocking its a good idea to use active cooling on the NF2 boards. So that said, if you're overclocking you should probably put the fan on there unless its just a small amount.

Sterculus said:
Also, the Iceberg is a good active cooling option, and it comes with little heatsinks that you can glue to whatever else you want.

I agree. I would also reccomend the crystal orb. I use them both and have used each of them for my NB but tend to like the orb ALITTLE better.

Nanidin said:
I guess passive cooling is usually enough but if you're overclocking its a good idea to use active cooling on the NF2 boards. So that said, if you're overclocking you should probably put the fan on there unless its just a small amount.

Im using the stock NB on my mobo, how do i mount the fan on there? ( it may sound noobish but im in need of an explanation :D

Back