• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick release fittings for 1/2 inch ID tubing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PerpetualBliss

Registered
where can I find Quick release fittings for 1/2 inch ID tubing. I want to be able to disconect my external cooling from the pc.

Are they tight? I want a quality unit that does not leak or drip any fluid when released. Can any one find such a fitting online. I have found some good ones but none that would fit 1/2 inch ID tubing.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pr...igh-Flow+Quick+Disconnect+Couplings+by+Colder

The products listed there can be a little confusing...here's how they work.

You want 1/2" fittings, so get ones that start with 1/2" (obviously)...the problem is that no matter what size you get, theyall have 3/8" flow through the center...the size they give is just the barb size...still you should stick with the 1/2" ones

You want the ones that are labelled "Shut off...the straight through ones still let water flow when you disconnect them... your choice between Polypropylen and Polysulfone, as you can see one is cheaper than the other

I got the BODYs that were panel mounts...so I mounted them to my case easily...if you don't want those and just want "normal" ones, just get the hose barb ones, or even the elbowed ones (elbows kill flow, remember)

So if you want the panel mount ones, here's all of what you should get:

1/2" Polypropylene Bulkhead Panel Mount Hose Barb Shutoff- 2.82 Lgt - Coupling Body
1/2" Polypropylene Hose Barb Shutoff - 1.86 Lgt - Coupling Insert

-----------------------------

They do leak a few drops when you disconnect them, and allow air in...but they work great.

userA said:
Here is what I'm using for my external wc rig.

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL94/167985/2462966/28845121.jpg
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL94/167985/2462966/28843384.jpg

When the male and female plugs are disconnected the valves on both ends are shut off. There is no leak.
Those are COLDER fittings. I bought them, then returned them as they are VERY restrictive. There is a diaphram that sits in each end and is pushed back to open flow, but the diaphram remains and water has to go around it.

nikhsub1 said:

Those are COLDER fittings. I bought them, then returned them as they are VERY restrictive. There is a diaphram that sits in each end and is pushed back to open flow, but the diaphram remains and water has to go around it.

I agree they're restrictive. With the fittings, the load temp increases 1C. The idle temp stays the same. It's a trade off between ease of maintenance and +1C load temp in my external wc system.

userA said:

I agree they're restrictive. With the fittings, the load temp increases 1C. The idle temp stays the same. It's a trade off between ease of maintenance and +1C load temp in my external wc system.
No argument there! They are great, that is for sure but people after ultimate perfomance that try to get that extra degree or 2 should know they are a flow killer. I wish someone made a quick release that was fully OPEN when connected, that would be awesome.

Back