• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How high do you think a 1700+ DUT3C could go with my setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WeaponX6X

Hey all, I'm on the verge of buying this cpu. How high do you think I could OC it? I have an ASUS A7A266 and 1 GB of Crucial PC2100 RAM. The rest is in my info. Do you think I could hit 2000 MHz atleast?

Well I think that the PC2100 RAM is probably going to be holding you back quite a bit. I'm not really familiar with that board, but I suspect that it won't be incredibly overclocking friendly. It's all going to rest on how well that RAM will do, and the only way to tell is to buy one and check it out.
Also, if you ever plan to upgrade your other components, you might want to shell out a little for a DLT3C chip. These chips run at a lower stock voltage and thus get better overclocks. It might be worth it to get one of those rather than be wishing you had one later.

Your best bet is to raise the multiplier, which may not be possible. If you can get your multiplier up to 15, you should be able to break 2000. Your ram and motherboard will really limit your overclock. Newegg.com sells a lot of refurbished motherboards, You can get a good KT400 for about $30-40.

If you can unlock the higher range of multipliers, I'd say that 2.2-2.3ghz would be possible with your cooling. Otherwise, the best that you can pretty much get with that board is 12.5*150=1875.

I have raised my multiplier to 13 before with my current cpu...My mobo also supports up to 200 FSB I think...I could be wrong. I still have to install the latest BIOS.

Your motherboard can only handle around 150mhz or so stabily, regardless of the maximum value appearing in the BIOS. If I could overclock as high my BIOS allowed, I'd be running at an even 300mhz right now, lol. Your Thunderbird is unlocked for the higher multipliers. Since your motherboard can only read 4 bits at a time, you will only have access to the lower multiplier range with a 1700+.

Of course, you could mod the processor and change the 5th bit, accessing all multis 13x and above. It might not be worth it, though... KT400/nforce2 mobos really aren't too expensive (neither is PC2700/3200 RAM) and it'll make a fairly nice difference. Remember that in many cases, such as gaming, memory bandwidth matters a lot.

KT400/nforce2 mobos really aren't too expensive (neither is PC2700/3200 RAM) and it'll make a fairly nice difference. Remember that in many cases, such as gaming, memory bandwidth matters a lot.

Yeah I know. But my computer suites me fine right now. I want a new cpu because I just don't like my Tbird that much and cpus aren't expensive. I don't want to dish out more than $100 right now. I spent like $200 I think for my RAM a year or so ago. It's not worth spending another $200 for a few fps.

Do yourself a favour and get a DLT3C 1700 instead of the DUT3C. you probably won't use the extra capability what with your Motherboard and RAM, but you might really be glad later when you do upgrade your motherboard to something that can hit a higher FSB.

truth be known he aint got a very bad setup....with that gfx card overclocked a bit and his ram runnen 150x12.5 his system should push 10k+ 3dmarks EASY!....that combined with a 300gb harddrive is AWSOME!....(question...are you stuck with the dut3c..or can ya get a dLt3c?)....but yeah man if ya wanna get the higher mulipliers just mod the proc.....I think there might even be a way to socket mod that(I might be wrong...:D)

Well it seems like I can't find the DLT3C anymore...so I think I'm stuck with the DUT3C. Oh well...it's better than what I have now...

Back