• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do i clean stained white hoses?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sabor1

my hoses look like theres smoke flowing throw them instead of water. what additive will clear them up?

You may be able to use some CLR to clean out your tubes, if in fact it is build-up on the tubes? You'll need to disassemble your cooling setup to do this.
AFTER you have cleaned it out, make sure you get some anti-fungal additive (I believe Water Wetter has this, but I'm not sure. Hopefully a person more experienced with Watercooling could help on this one.)

Bottom line is that I would reccomend cleaning out the residue FIRST instead of adding an additive to try and clean it out while it cools your CPU, if its a tube problem.

Doesn't Water Wetter have some agents that can clean this up?

If you're going to use CLR for your hoses make sure you do what Ffats said and disassemble the setup to clean just the hoses. Here's a few quotes from Jelmar's (maker of CLR) site:

DO NOT USE CLR on natural stone or marble, terrazzo, colored grout, painted or metallic glazed surfaces, plastic laminates, Formica, aluminum, steam irons, leaded crystal, refinished tubs or any damaged or cracked surface. May etch older sinks, tubs, and tiles. CLR may return older cement to its original white appearance. CLR is corrosive. Avoid contact with wood, clothing, wallpaper and carpeting. Some laminated surfaces (counter tops) are coated with a synthetic surface which may be affected by rust removers; clean spills immediately. ALWAYS TEST ALL SURFACES IN A SMALL HIDDEN AREA BEFORE USE. Always avoid prolonged contact with any surface. After 2 minutes, rinse promptly and thoroughly with cold, clean water

and

Can I use CLR to clean out my radiator?
No, CLR should not be used on a car radiator for two reasons. First, CLR may not be compatible with the internal metals of the radiator. Second, it could have adverse effects if the CLR is not rinsed out completely

You could wind up with a lot more problems than just smokey hoses if it gets into your block or core.

Back