• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What should i get for silent air cooling for a barton

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frost Byte

I'm building a system for a friend. He's not going to OC this or anything. It going to have a Barton 2500+ in it (or somewhere around that), and I want it to be very quite. What is the best HS and Fan that i can get for a reasonable price.

Thanks

Frost byte

a zalman 7000cu. its quiet, but i guess its not that cheap. get a cheap thermalright and put a fan thats on a rhebus to keep the rpm down

cherryp00t said:
i still think the zalman 7000A is better =d go wiht that if you have like 40 to spend hehe

depends on his definition of a reasonable price

if hes not gonna oc just stick with the stock hsk and put a fan adaptor and add an 80 mm led to make it look nice

well 40 bucks will fit into the budget nicely. I'll look into the zalman thanks guys

Either one should more than cut it for a stock system, but there's really no denying that the 7000Cu will deliver better performance at low noise levels.

Thats not true. The Zalman is also avaiable for AMD. Just make sure its compatable with your motherboard and make sure its a 7000a not just 7000

The 7000ACu or AlCu are for pretty much anything modern, and certainly a Barton (note the 'A'). The AlCu version is lighter, doesn't oxidize (on the aluminum fins), and has nearly identical performance even before any copper oxidation (presumably better performance after any such oxidation...). Oh, and it costs a few bucks less as well.
It includes a fan speed adjuster and can be run essentially silent. Oh yes, I mean s i l e n t with rather good cooling. This will probably cost about the same as an SK-7 and a SmartFan2.

edit: I just wasn't fast enough... sigh... that's overclockers for ya!

Yeah, gotta learn to shorten responses! hehe

But I havent heard of the Zalmans have any abnormal amount of oxidazation compared to other copper heatsinks. Is there an artical that states this or is this your hypotosis?

more like the hypothesis of an article.
Also, no it wouldn't be any more so for the Zalman than any other copper heatsink. However, it seems inevitable that oxidation will occur. Surely you've seen discoloration on your copper blocks as well as I have?

this is heading for a new thread, no?

i would get the Thermaltake Silent Boost if I were you. I just picked it up today to replace my SK7/SF2 combo which I found much too loud. This HSF is nearly silent, 21dba to be exact, and delivers temps comparable to an SLK800.

i htink the tt silent boost wil lbe my next hs/f combo if i ever find areason to replace this aero 7lite

Why not just use the AMD cooler?

http://www17.tomshardware.com/cpu/2...nclusion_bundled_coolers_generally_sufficient

Read above and see the stock AMD coolers do a real good job especially if you are not OC'ing. Buy the boxed versiojn of the 2500 Barton and you get the AMD HS and fan plus the three year warranty whereas the OEM chip has one year.

Check the specs in the above link and you'll find the AMD fan isn't really that much louder than most of the others. If I were you I'd use the AMD cooler and 30CFM case fans at or below 25 Decibles and you should be about as quiet as is feasable. Get 'em here for a buck. http://www.nexfan.com/evcafan80bl.html

put an 80mm fan (i suggest a panaflo) and a 60->80mm adapter on the stock heatsink...

the stock heatsink will be more than enough for a non-overclocked chip, but the little fan it comes with is a bit noisy, and that's why you should change it to an 80mm one

Thread, here's the adapter Illig is referring to.
http://www.nexfan.com/fanadapters.html
I tried one to cool my CPU HS and got the same results just mounting the 80mm on the HS and let it hang over the edge. Think it would work best with a 60mm outlet vent in a case fan setting with a 80mm fan. How about one of these 80 to 120mm adapters with the 80mm on the exaust vent and the 120mm fan pulling hot air out of the case ? Whoooie! Ice cicles!

Back