• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4070 SUPER

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For new computer that I am in the prosses for building I was going to get the 4070 ti but for the money and price point I am more than likely going to get the 4070 SUPER. What all of you going to get or you are going to stay with the card you have.

Have 4070. No plans to upgrade from that this generation unless I come into a ton of money. Will re-evaluate again with 50 series. If I had to get another 40 series for whatever reason, I think the 4070 TiS would be my choice.

It sounds like AMD might drop the price of the RX 7900 XTX to $850ish which IMO makes it an instant win over anything Nvidia crapped out today. Nvidia is over charging for performance, RAM, and brand name.

It sounds like AMD might drop the price of the RX 7900 XTX to $850ish which IMO makes it an instant win over anything Nvidia crapped out today. Nvidia is over charging for performance, RAM, and brand name.
It's already ~$800...they did that in like, July?

...with a 4070S ($600) supposedly ~= to a 4070Ti which is just a few % behind a 7900XTX, it wouldn't be a no brainer. With a 4070 TiS ($799) supposedly faster than a 4080 and as fast or faster than 7900 XTX while using less power.....................

The difference here is about 130W+ and $200 between them (literally over 50% more power use for a couple % increase in performance). And if you use the DLSS/RT etc, that's a lot better implemented on the NV side. It really depends. It's not close to black and white for me. I'd lean towards these supers so far.............................

Last edited:
For me, RTX4070 is great because of how well it performs compared to the wattage and heat. I have no problems with 12GB in anything. It will be too slow for some settings before requiring more VRAM. It's still enough for pretty much everything at 4K. As much as many people complain about how expensive RTX4070 is compared to its performance, it's still significantly faster than RTX3070 at ~80W more and about as fast as RX6800XT at ~100W more.
Nvidia is not convincing me, mainly because of power connectors, which will probably be changed again. Now you see another flood of new PSUs with the "new-old" connector. Another reason to release new products.
AMD is working on something new, but I'm unsure when it will be released. I thought it would be at the beginning of 2024 (maybe will be in May or June). It won't be another refresh, but it's hard to say if they release it soon and if it's worth waiting if anyone wishes an AMD card. RX7900XT/XTX is already old. If anyone saves money for long months, then I guess that in the point where we are right now (at the end of the "store life" of some products) can wait some more.
Just my thoughts. Unless a miracle happens and I get a review sample of a new Nvidia, I don't even think about getting one.

It's already ~$800...they did that in like, July?

...with a 4070S ($600) supposedly ~= to a 4070Ti which is just a few % behind a 7900XTX, it wouldn't be a no brainer. With a 4070 TiS ($799) supposedly faster than a 4080 and as fast or faster than 7900 XTX while using less power.....................

The difference here is about 130W+ and $200 between them (literally over 50% more power use for a couple % increase in performance). And if you use the DLSS/RT etc, that's a lot better implemented on the NV side. It really depends. It's not close to black and white for me. I'd lean towards these supers so far.............................
I still dont see it, 16GB vs 24GB, and the XTX performing around 5-8% better than a 4080 which is above a 4070 TI SUPER but only slightly. TI SUPER is listed at $800, XTX is being dropped to $850, which is well worth the cost difference for the memory alone.

Power/Heat is a valid reason, but with the better AMD driver support I will forgive the power use.

I still dont see it, 16GB vs 24GB,
When will 24GB be useful? Woomack has the idea earlier...
It will be too slow for some settings before requiring more VRAM.
A 16GB 4K card will be fine ~5 years from now. By then, the card will be too slow in modern titles, where the vRAM won't be the bottleneck in the first place. :)

which is well worth the cost difference for the memory alone.
We'll have to agree to disagree, I guess. I'm not paying $50 more for VRAM I won't use in the card's useful lifetime...even at 4K. 24GB is a shed load!
but with the better AMD driver support I
I feel both camps do a solid job with drivers, but I think you'll find more people leaning toward AMD being more finicky than NV. But to each their own. :)

I'd consider it if I needed the extra performance, but vRAM capacity wouldn't be something I'd consider (and surely not worth it alone, IMO) in a 16 vs. 24GB situation... or even 12GB (if gaming at 2560x1440).

Last edited:
I just think your over paying for not much performance getting anything from Nvidia right now. I dug in some more and the 4080 series under performs next to the XTX, and the new TI SUPER wont even match the 4080. So were talking about an MSRP of $800, for "equal" performance to the 7900 XT (not even the XTX) is a bad showing.

As for VRAM, I always need more, mods and high res 4k textures eat VRAM like candy. Most games will drop texture resolutions on nvidia cards because of how handicapped they are with VRAM and the game engine wont even tell you its doing it. Just happens dynamically.

Most games will drop texture resolutions on nvidia cards because of how handicapped they are with VRAM and the game engine wont even tell you its doing it. Just happens dynamically.
That's a new one. Will you provide a link so I can learn about this? :)

"...how handicapped they are?"

I guess if you're part of that small group who mods, I can see the perspective.

Have 4070. No plans to upgrade from that this generation unless I come into a ton of money. Will re-evaluate again with 50 series. If I had to get another 40 series for whatever reason, I think the 4070 TiS would be my choice.
Where do you think the 50 cards are going to come out?

Personally, no idea. If I had to guess, look at when the last ones came out and add 2 years, which could put it towards the end of this year. There are rumours Nvidia are looking at the start of 2025.
4Q, yes. When depends on AMD, their cards performance and price. NV isn't letting the holiday season go by if amd has new cards out.

4Q, yes. When depends on AMD, their cards performance and price. NV isn't letting the holiday season go by if amd has new cards out.
7900 XTX released December 2022. 4090 slightly earlier October 2022. I don't seek out rumours but I do visit places where they're discussed so they're unavoidable to an extent. I don't know how credible either are, but there are claims that NV's next gen will be early 2025, and that AMD's next gen wont be a normal one in that they will skip high end. If the AMD one is true, it could lead to the NV one being true also, since they don't have as much pressure to maintain top spot. If AMD does have a high end product for the end of this year to challenge the 4090, then I'm sure NV could drop the 5090 to ensure they keep that top spot. The lower levels can be much later as usual.

Da. Ive read the same. Both seem equally valid. I just can't see another holiday season go by without a new card from either camp. Late 4Q ftw? :shrug:

Back