• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7vl-vm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
This board only shows it supports spitfire Durons and 100FSB Athlon Tbirds. But it does have a 1/4 PCI divisor and can do 100 and 133 FSB (and a couple of settings in between) by jumper.

It has onboard video/sound so I was going to use it for a diskless folding box. I'm just wondering what CPU I can get running in it. I'd kind of like to get a 1.6Ghz appalbred and run the FSB at 133 for 2128mhz. I could even bridge mod the CPu to get a little extra voltage....

Or maybe I'll test out a palomino on it just to see if it will boot.

Ultimately, I want a CPU with SSE, which means I need a morgan duron, XP palomino, XP Tbred, or a new appalbred duron. none of these are listed as supported by Asus's documents and I don't want to risk much cash on a CPU that may not work in a barebones caselss/diskless box.

What CPU do you thnk I should try? Appalbred (1.4 or 1.6) or Morgan Duron (1.0) seem like the right choices to me given my overclocking options are limited to a top of 133 FSB, so a 100FSB cpu with good potential for overclocking seems like the best choice...

I can test tbreds and Palominos on it, just to make sure it can boot. I can even take it to a local shop and they'll let me test fire a morgan duron in order to determine compatibilty. What would you get? We'll assume that any AMD CPu will work in it....

Duron 1000 to OC to 1333 $33

Appalbred 1.4 to OC to 1862 $40ish (hard to differentiate the morgan 1.4 and the appalbred 1.4)

Appalbred 1.6 to OC to 2128 $43

With the appalbreds I could try the L2 mod. I'd do L11 modding for vcore on any of those three in order to facilitate good overclocking.

The box will run caseless so ambient temps will be good. There will be no hdd and it will be powered by a 200w PSU. Have 128mb of sdram for it and a cdrom drive to run a CD-based Linux OS. The cooling device is a stock Tbred HSF but with a 60mm delta fan (38cfm) instead of the wimpy AMD fan.

Last edited:
Back