• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

oc problems with new stuff

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magictoaster8

Registered
Ok. I going mad trying to figure this out. I have recently purchased 512 mb mushkin level 2 black pc 3500 memory, an anthlon xp 2100+ Tbred B DUT3C 0252 with AIUHB steppings, and the abit NF7-S rev 2. mother board. I plan on over clocking but some thing is going wrong.

Here's is what i have done so far:
First I tried setting memory to what mushkin has recomended it to run at. 217 fsb (433 mhz) 2-2-2-6 timings 2.8V (other voltages were tried they did not help) with the prosessor set to 7x. when I ran 3d marks or prime 95 it crashed. so I set the fsb to 200 since this is what abit says is the max for that board. Everything ran fine prime ran for 7 hours no errors whats so ever. I figured the board dispite its oc reputation was the problem but then when i try increasing the multiplyer to anything over 7 it still crashed. Keep in mind temps never went over 41C even at full load. So I started from the very begging 166fsb, 2-2-2-5 timings, prossecor 6.5x. still it ran rock solid right up untill i tryed going over 200 fsb (like 201fsb) so i set loser timings 2-2-2-6, and still could not go over 200fsb. so I figures scew it Ill run tighter timings (2-2-2-5) and lower fsb dispite the fact that it is a waste of pc3500 memory. Well no luck there either any thing over 7x in the multiplier (this is still under stock settings for the prossesor as it should do at least 8.5x @200fsb = 1700 and its rated @ 1730) i tried changing chipset voltages Vcore voltages vdimm voltages low low timings (3-3-3-8) and still cant do any thing over 200fsb 7x.

I cant tell wether it is the board or the the cpu, since I don't think its the memory (3-3-3-8, come on that should NOT cause any errors)

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!
make suggetions, give me more test any thing is apreciated i really dont want to RMA but will if I must.

i will apologize in advanced for slow responce to post as I am loaded with school

thank you Magictoaster8

Did you set the vdd to 1.7 what do you have the ram voltage @ do you have all the advanced chipset otions disable pretty much all anyway spectrum cpu throttling etc etc.

re

yes i hadd vdimm @2.7 when running 2-2-2-6 timings @ 200 and 2.8 when runing 2-2-2-5.

yes spread spectrum cpu throtiling and the like where disabled

jonspd said:
Did you set the vdd to 1.7 what do you have the ram voltage @ do you have all the advanced chipset otions disable pretty much all anyway spectrum cpu throttling etc etc.
magictoaster8 said:
yes i hadd vdimm @2.7 when running 2-2-2-6 timings @ 200 and 2.8 when runing 2-2-2-5.

yes spread spectrum cpu throtiling and the like where disabled

vdd is the chipset voltage, vdimm is the ram voltage. you shouldnt need to use 1.7v vdd to hit 200 though, but you should try it. it could well be the ram causing the problems, so try one stick at a time.

Well since you have done most trouble shooting stuff, I would say next you should try some better motherboard cooling, maybe one of those Zalman passive ones, to match your Zalman HS... lol

Most of the people who run higher than 200 don't use the stock chipset cooler (or at least put AS3 on there).

i was running at 227fsb with stock cooling with just some coolermaster compound stuff so i say take the stock cooler off and put some new compound on it also put a heatsink on the south bridge

Kinda sounds like the same problem I had. Wouldn't run anything over 200FSB at any setting.

I basically stuck my cpu at 1.75v, mem at 2.8v, and chipset at 1.7v. Now I'm running 211x10.5 or so at 2-2-2-11 (could run tighter, but this gives best bandwidth).

ok ill try replacing thermal compuound
on north bridge.

On the south bridge do you need to remove the green thing that says nf7-s on it before attaching a heat sink?

can you guys recomoened a way of attaching heat sinks to north/south bridge and mosfets, so that if I still need to RMA board (like if this doesn't work) i can get them off with out much trouble?

thanks for the help so far Ill post again soon.

The southbridge doesn't ahve an NF7-S sticker...

At least not as far as I know. It should just be a little nvida chip, no sticker (at least not as far as I remember Ill check it out tommorow)...

Well, you might wanna read some of the stickies around here (Abit section, CPU section etc.), anything about the NF7-S, it addresses some possible problems and remedys for them.

some folks over at amdforums.com can get as high as 235+fsb on earlier rev.2 nf7/nf7-s boards, but the recent ones maxed out around 215fsb ... this could be one of the factors affecting your OCing.

if:
1. loosen memory timing and increasing vdimm
2. increasing vdd
3. replacing northbridge thermal compound with AS3
still can't help, then it's the luck of the draw .... your board falls into the second category :( .. mine does ..

ok this sucks I have vdimm @2.8 Vdd @ 1.7 200fsb and 7x multi with 2-2-2-6 timings and 3dmarks keeps dumping me back to windows. Is it time to try L12 mod?

Im lost, how can I still not be able to go over 200fsb.

mother frigggen buasdk klasdb .... continues mumbling and punching stuff

ok I tried L12 mod and it did not help at all. Still can not run over 200fsb. I have set chipset voltage to 1.7 no luck regardless of timings. I have both enebled and disabled APIC and still multipliers dont work. I have enabled and disabled that CPU thing in bios underneath fsb (it controls speed of cpu "talk" to northbridge) I have replaced thermal grease on both cpu and north bridge I am running @ 38C full load and i can not run over 200fsb or use a multiplier higher than 7.

Is it time to RMA or are there other things I can try.

:cry:

Last edited:
first off BUmbidy bumpidy and away we go....

Second : come on I need to know whether or not to RMA the board since it can not run my prossecor @ stock.

Hlep

Back