• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7 vdimm problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mongoled

Right Im gonna make this as clear as possible.

1st these are the system specs whilst I am encountering the issues I am abt to explain.

1/CPU: 2.3ghz (can bench 3dmark over 2.5ghz)
2/Mem: Corsair BH5 (can bench 3dmark 215mhz CPU interface rock stable @ 5-2-2-2, vdimm 2.99 and vdd 1.7) the mem be4 mod was set at 210mhz 5-2-2-2 vdd 1.5, vdimm 2.99, this is prime stable 4 over 24hrs.
3/NrthBridge:Copper cooler temp range 39-43 degrees celcius.

Ok thats out the way,

Last night i decided to do the vdimm mod, i used a 1kohm VR for the mod and used the method found @ www.motherboardfaqs.com.

Everything seemed to go according to 'plan'. I rebooted, went into the bios checked the vdimm voltages and just like it was explained in the article my '2.6v' Vdimm had adjusted itself to arnd 2.88 volts. I messed abt with the vdimm settings and upon each reboot the appropriate values were found in the bios.

Right i thought lets just boot into windows with the same values as be4 mod just to make sure that everything is alright. So i boot into windows stick on prime95 and wait to see if its ok. Well guess what it bloody fails after a few minutes :upset:.

This is solved by increasing the vdd to 1.7, but y should i have to do this all i had done was the vdimm mod and was using the same settigns as be4 the mod.

Ok so i thinks to myself, 'maybe vdimm and vdd are related' i then set abt pumpin up the vdimm voltage just to see if i can clock the mem higher. Go into bios, set value, reboot, go into bios, check value, value ok. Boot into OS.

Right Im now giving the mem 3.2 volts with NO increase with mem overclock (alternating between CPU interface on and off bears no change in mem overclock)on the contrary i find things to be...how can i put it....more unstable.

Well last night i posted in someone elses thread (sorry 4 hijacking) to c if anyone had any ideas. Holst replied and gave me a few things to try out one of which i did today. Basically one of the things Holst suggested I try was 2 replace the VR with a fixed resistor. Well this is what i did and now my results are even more confusing to say the least......:cussing: (not directed @ you holst :))

This is now what happens with the fixed 1kohm resistor...

Upon reboot, look in bios 2.6v has again become 2.88....looking good. Set vdimm to 2.7v in bios reboot, check value it is now 2.73volts ????? Any change in vdimm just defaults to standard volatge settings, wtf is going on?????

Ive checked for dry joints, resoldered the result is the same.....
Im getting pretty miffed, nothing is straight forward with me, even when done 'perfectly'.

So Im open to ideas, I would like to hear abt any other methods of doing vdimm modifiactions. I have seen a couple of other ways but would just like some confirmation off other peeps who may have tried and tested these methods.

ALso can someone point me to where i can read these values with multimeter from mobo.

I really hope someone can enlighten me, this so frustrating, anything i try i seem to be hitting a :brick: wall.

A very frustrated mongoled

:censored:

Whoa, sounds like a headache. Wish I could help you on that one, but you're gonna need to find a real mod expert for something like that. :( All I can say is if you need answers look in the mod threads. I know they mention where to put the multimeter to find your exact voltage settings.

-Overcrocked

Yo thanxs 4 the reply,

Since that post I have sorted my problems. Im not going to into detail but ill just say that alot of time was spent resolving the 'issues' i had.

Surfice to say that having solved the problem has enabled me to achieve some pretty nice results.

Take a look

250mhz.gif

Also im very close to 21k with my setup

take a look here

Anyway goto go

l8rz

mongoled

:eek: :drool: O my goodness. A 500 Mhz system bandwidth. Can't wait untill I get my NF7-S 2!!

May I ask how exactly you fixed this (when you have time to answer), others (like myself) who plan on Vmodding the chipset on this board might benefit from this knowledge! ;)

-=TriX-R4-KidS= said:
Have you done any special mods to the mobo to get that high of a FSB? cool mofsets? etc?

Well, if you read his first reply then you would know he was trying to increase his DDR Sdram with a volt mod.

Thanxs guys,

I think i owe it to you to explain some of the 'inconsistencies' i was having with my modifications.

Right for those of you who read the first post the first problem was caused by a 'dud' 1k VR. That not being enuff of a no-goer the 2nd problem is even more frustrating.....

One thing I have learned is always check what u have bought, if I had checked the fixed resistor i was given when i got home then the 2nd problem would never have occured . But nope i didnt check; what had happened is the following, the guy at maplins (in the UK maplins is a 'hardware' store) had given me the wrong resistor!!!!:mad: I asked for a 1kohm and instead got a 100kohm one!

So that explains the 2nd problem. The solution quite simply was to find the right components...which i thought i had. Well fortunately i had another 1kohm VR laying abt (saved me trip to shop and prob a outburst with said staff) so I connected that. Stability improved but not perfect.

I then had to work out a way to mod my 3.3v line on my enermax. I had tried be4 but as i am finding these things again dont go according to plan. In the end i had to devise my own mod, u can find the details here :D

After doing this i found myself still stuck at arnd 220mhz, this is when i discoverd what peeps where on abt when they talked abt not being able to use the 10/10.5 multis with high fsb on NF7-S Ver2. Only bios versions 10 and 11 does it work properly. So with this new information I managed to achieve the results you find be4 you.

After all the frustration it is very satisfying to get these results. I will now answer some of the questions put forward.

2 felinusz u got your answer ;)

2 -=TriX-R4-KidS= nothing 'special' mosfet cooled with hand made heatsinks, crystal orb on nthbridge, 3.3volts through RAM :). vdd mod didnt seem to help much.

Thats all 4 now

l8rz guys

mongoled

Last edited:
Back