• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

chipset cooling? needed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the more you use it. the hotter it gets the more you overclock it the hotter it getts people cool it so it doesnt fry or explode.

A chipset will get hotter when:

Under Use/load
Faster the FSB/Memory is
More Voltage Running through it
Case temp rises (overclocked and HOT CPU/FX card/Summer)

The cooler an IC is (to a certain point), the more stable it runs.
So to keep the system stable, you are often required to combat the extra heat produced with added cooling

no not really as the Chipset (mainly the North Bridge) doesnt heat-up as much as a CPU. So cooling it is almost overkill.
High FSB overclocks in the past have shown to benifit from cooling the NorthBridge, aswell as Voltage mods show a benifit.

If installed correctly, it cant hurt but only help. So if you got an extra heatsink around, might be worth your time. But if your only into mild overclocking, other than the look cool factor....
well, really its upto you

No it isn't as important as your CPU - all current chipsets come with coolers attached by the board's manufacturer that do a fairly adequate job of keeping it cool.

However - changing the thermal paste under these stock coolers to some Arctic Silver 3/5 is a good idea as the thermal paste they usually put on is inadequatly skimpy and low quality.

If you are overvolting your chipset, or running at a particularly high FSB then an aftermarket chipset cooler/waterblock might be a good idea, and would increase FSB walls to a small extent.

Chipset cooling is sorta an optional thing to do - your board won't die or anything if you don't cool your chipset with aftermarket products - it will just run hotter, and possibly not perform to it's full potential.

well i got a sp94 for my comp i guess i can spare some of my artic silver 5 on it ahha

jAY said:
no not really as the Chipset (mainly the North Bridge) doesnt heat-up as much as a CPU. So cooling it is almost overkill.
High FSB overclocks in the past have shown to benifit from cooling the NorthBridge, aswell as Voltage mods show a benifit.

If installed correctly, it cant hurt but only help. So if you got an extra heatsink around, might be worth your time. But if your only into mild overclocking, other than the look cool factor....
well, really its upto you

unless you have a nForce 2, good god does that thing get hot

i have an nForce 2... if your running stock Voltage and not overclocking its fine...

But yeah, once you up the Voltage and get the clock up, cooling is a good idea, or at the least some more/better thermal paste

on a p4 is it required? the stubs on mine broke off now i gotta wait till tomorrow to get new ones but i just installed my sp94 so it's all good my cpu stock at idle was at 17degrees .

i wanna see the differences with teh sp94 so kinda wanted to test asap.

is it safe or shoudl i wait?

Back