• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ABIT NF7's "Northbridge stock HSF"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EmAzY

Registered
ABIT NF7's "Northbridge stock HSF" ... how's it, is it alright or just no good, and whats good to replace it with... i currently have an extra northbridge hsf from a GA-8IEX gigabyte motherboard and i'm not sure if it will even make a difference with nf7's stock hsf on northbridge. what ya'll think.

The Northbridge hs on the NF7's are pretty good. Really all you need unless you are going to really push your oc. But if you want those last few MHz's put something else on it. I have a Vantec Iceburg & it has helped my oc. Newegg has it for $9.99. It also comes with 2 smaller hs's. One fits perfectly on the Southbridge. It's a good idea to lap your Northbridge before putting on a new hs, it's not flat at all!

Stock northbridge HSF is pretty decent. I don't think that northbridge really requires much better cooling unless you voltmod your board for more chipset voltage.

Most people have been able to attain around 230FSB using the stock cooler with no stability problems so it does a good job. The Transfer Interface Material (TIM) is spread nicely over the Northbridge althought it may be worth replacing it with a Silver based TIM such as Arctic Silver 5.

Craig

I took the "goop" off of the NB and replaced it with some AS5. I haven't really noticed much of a change.

The change in Thermal Paste doesnt affect the overclockability, just the stability, yempour NB temps should be a lot lower. Its the same thing when people ask about will pelts aid the overclockability of memory on graphics cards, the answer often is no it doesnt and heatsinks are fine for now however the pelts add stability i.e. lower temps

Ducker said:
It's a good idea to lap your Northbridge before putting on a new hs, it's not flat at all!

I agree 100%. If you plan on a large OC lapping the NB is a must. When I did mine it took over an hour to get the nb flat with 600 grit sandpaper. The NB chip is actually concave so the TIM is thickest in the center and is doing all the work. Lapping will get you better contact with the chip therefore better heat transfer and more stable system.

i should have taken a pic of the stock "goop" on the nothbridge of my NF7-S. it was a tiny dime size spot that wasnt even in the center where it needed to be the most.

I need to do the volt mod. I stuck a amd heatsink on there :eek: its nearly as big as my processors heatsink, just not that great of a fan on it.

Heres what I use on my 8RDA+, helod on using cable ties with anti-static foan on the back of the PCB to protect the resistors and PCB.

Pic:

Attachments

• 8rda.jpg
    8rda.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 148
Back