• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which heater core to buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mycotopian

Hey guys I just received my White Water block in the mail yesterday and I plan on ordering my pump and radiator today (payday :p ) I was hoping you could give me suggestions on what radiator or heatercore I should pick up. I don't really have any size restrictions as I will be hanging the radiator,shroud and fan (or should I go with a blower?) assembly outside my window (in a rubbermaid container or something) for some cool fresh air and running my lines back in the window and to my pump (right now considering the Eheim 1250). So far from what I have read I think the caprice core was looking pretty good but I want to make sure I get the best and I dont want to have to mod the core at all to get my tubing to fit (I want to go with something that has at least a 1/2 ID) Thanks guys.

It sounds like a nice idea to build an external, I almost did the same. As for the core, you could always go for the standard 85 chevette which is the single size or the caprice which is the duel. Both of which will take some minor modding to get your tubes to fit depnding on how it comes.

For the same money you could go to DTekcustoms.com and go to the "clearance" link, there you will find the scratch and dent heatercores for about the same price as the plain core. They are the same thing but DTek has already modded the barbs to fit tubing. I ordered one from there and the dent it had was barely noticable and effected nothing.

Also for the pump I like Danner Mag3 over the Eheim but thats just me. They are pretty much the same thing but the Danner is a little more powerful and a bit smaller. Hope that helps.

Isn't the Chevette core suppose to outperform the Pro radiators? The only have pros in the scratch and dent store. I want something equivalant to the BIX2.

mycotopian said:
Isn't the Chevette core suppose to outperform the Pro radiators? The only have pros in the scratch and dent store. I want something equivalant to the BIX2.

The Pro Core and Chevette core are the EXACT same thing and both of them will out perform a BIX.

UberBlue said:

mycotopian said:

The Pro Core and Chevette core are the EXACT same thing and both of them will out perform a BIX.

Will a Chevette core outperform both a regular BIX *AND* a BIX 2??
I have been wondering about this for some time. I need a new radiator myself too and have been wondering about the performance differences between a BIX 2, a Thermochill HE 120 , a Chevette core and a Caprice core.

I *think* that the Caprice heater core and the Thermochill HE 120 should be the best performers because of their massive size and yet I wonder how they would compare to each other and also to a BIX 2?

I currently have a BIX and it works good but I got the upgrade fever lately so I want something bigger!!!!! :D

If size isn't a concern, go to your local junkyard and search for the largest HC you can find with 1/2"-5/8" barbs. I found mine in about 15 minutes while looking through a 20' wide x 5' tall pile of junk cores. Both barbs are 5'8" OD with 1/2" ID. HC only cost me one dollar.

Back