• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WCing the 9800xt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGhengisKhan

BANNED TROLL -Per Silversinksam
ok, I'm planning on WCing my 9800xt soon, and need some advice on the blocks (that's right, blockS)

Here's 1 design I've come up with.

Basic design is that water flows in the barb at the outside edge of the card, over the first 2 RAM chips, then down over the GPU which has a few fins over it to assist in dissipating heat. then over the second pair of RAM chips on that side of the card. The water then flows out of the block on the end of the card, through a short length of 1/2"ID 1/8" wall Clearflex60 that I soak the middle of and bend multiple times untill it's able to make about a 180� turn back up to the block on the top of the card which flows over both sets of RAM then back out and on to the radiators in my loop.

wbfront.jpg

wbback.jpg

Let me know what you all think, and any alterations you would suggest in the design. (I'm WCing the RAM due to the heat they put out, and I'm going to be attempting some good OCing with the card)

Looks like a good design to me, I want a set :)

I've seen an L block before for the RAM, and it worked nicely. That pair of blocks will probably restrict flow quite a bit, but if you have a high powered pump, they won't be a problem. Are you planning on putting the barbs on the side of the block? Also, have you planned the interior yet? That's the most important part :p

Well, I have a bar of 3/8" thick copper that is 3" wide. and I plan on buying a sheet of 1/16" thick copper for the cover. Basicly, cut the channels, then soldier the 1/16" plate over the top of the blocks.

well, thats no 9800xt, but a 9800.

remember that the 9800xt has more ram chips.

if this is of any use to you, i made this with 3d studio.

Attachments

• r9800 block.jpg
    r9800 block.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 176
I don't know where you got the information that 9800xt has more ram chips, but it doesn't. I have taken the sinks off of mine to replace the original thermal tape with some better paste, and there are only 8 chips (4 to a side) And that picture is a 9800xt, the 9800p's caps are laid out differently.

I like your block designs, but they call for thicker copper than what I already have. I'm trying to work with available materials.

ghengis, you r right, i confused the 9800xt with the 9800p 256mb, wich had more chips.

yeah those blocks need lots of copper, its just an idea i had, in the future if i consider making a block similar to that, i guess ill optimize its design.

Back