• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is memory holding back my OC??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssj5

Registered
I am currently running EXTREMELY stable for months now at 2100MHz (10x210 FSB)

My system is running much cooler now, and I would like to bump up a little, maybe attempt 2300-2400... But I can't seem to go over 214 FSB without some sort of instability.

I am running the my 1700+ at 1.85v and 2.9v on my ram (Twinmos 512MB BH-5) I have tried lowering the multiplier down to 9 and then tried 217, 216, 215... nothing. Only passes memtest86 when I'm at 214. I have passive cooling on my ram, but could I run the voltage higher? Is that what is holding me back? Or could it be something else?

Thanks!

From everything I understand, BH-5 really starts to shine at 3v+. I'd say start slowing uping the voltage and see what you can do, if your mobo can do the higher vdimm.

Agreed, BH-5 loves the juice! The more voltage you feed it,the faster it can go. I've seen some folks feed them like 3.7v for very short periods of time and net like 7200+ mb/sec scores in Sandra at insane 2-5-2-2 timings with PAT enabled :D

I would suggest more than ~3.2 for continuous use, but that should be MORE than enough.

Do any of the NF7-S v2 bios let you get above 2.9v on your vdimm?

I'm potentially facing the same problem in the near future whenever I get my RAM ... I think I may have to volt mod the mobo to get the juice the RAM will need.

I don't think any of them have that option from the factory... Hell, most Intel motherboards don't give you more than 2.9 as an option either. I think I could count on two fingers the total number of mobo's that give you 3v or higher options in BIOS :)

You nearly always have to do a voltmod to get those voltages...

I just wasn't sure if any of the custom BIOS out there would provide that option (I didn't know if it was actually a limitation of the motherboard itself which would REQUIRE hardware modification, or just the BIOS settings not giving the options).

after reading all of your posts, and my own research... I really need to get my vdimm higher than 2.9 but my bios only goes to 2.9...

so how would I do a vdimm mod for my NF7-S?

I cannot tell you directly how to perform the mod, however looking through the Motherboards section in this forum will surely yield results. :)

thanks! I did find the information about the mods...

One more question before I start... I am currently running my PC at 10.5x205 with 1.85vcore and ram at 2.9v. My temps are 47idle/51load. I usually turn my fans up when I'm gaming to keep the load temps in the mid 40's. I am mainly concerned about the idle temps... I like my PC VERY quiet. I can handle mid to high 40's idle, but ......

When I try to hit 220-230 FSB and increase my vdimm to about 3.2v and CPU to about 1.95v what type of temp increase can I expect??

I want to get about 10.5x225 without getting much "louder" on air... is it possible? Right now my entire system is about 34dB idle.

Back