• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime95 fails

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oren

I've checked my KHX3000 2x512 with Prime95 at 2-2-2-6 218MHz 2.8v. It failed after 5 hours and 13 minutes. What does it mean? Does it mean that the overclock is not safe? What is the time you guys usually use Prime95 for before you say that an overclock is stable?

alot of guys are obsessive compulsive about that stuff, i aint, if u get errors and lock ups immediately then sure u got probs. do ur regular stuff- fire up all ur games and if u dont have any probs- bsod's or game defaulting back to desktops- what the heck.

Actually, it depends a lot on the program. Unstable overclocks, even if games and stuff run fine, can cause a lot of problems with data corruption. Prime95 tends to be a little shaky, true, but that in combination with 3DMark loops and some Memtest is usually a good indicator. You'd hate to have it fail just when it was doing something very intense and important.

Prime95 tends to be a little shaky, true, but that in combination with 3DMark loops and some Memtest is usually a good indicator. You'd hate to have it fail just when it was doing something very intense and important.

^^ You mean like Folding? Meh PC was unstable as hell during folding. I backed off the RAM and blammo, stable as a rock:cool:

Well I'm sure u will back off ur overclock just a little. If it fails a little over 5hrs then ur sure not far from the stable point. I know it's hard to get ur self to lower the fsb or the multiplier but it will go faster in the long run.

Prime has never been shaky for me. :confused: Running other programs at the same time like 3dmark loops or memtest will interupt the execution of the prime code, and give your hardware intermittent breathers - they should be run seperately. You should run prime by itself at high priority so there are no services or processes to interupt it.

Stable is more than 12 hours of prime without an error IMO, and that is what most people say who are serious about stability and running GOOD overclocks - if you run it long and hard enough, the chance of crashing out of a program or getting data errors can be forgotten about.

If you get an error in prime after 5 hours or even 10 hours, that means you've got a problem somewhere. This problem you've found could possibly pop up an hour into playing a game, 2 hours into encoding that video, or a few hours after folding. If you get an error while your testing prime, then you can experience a random error caused by system instability at any point while you are using your computer.

If you get an error while you are running prime in normal priority, that is even a worse sign... if it takes you 5 hours to get an error with prime running normal priority, you likely would have found it sooner if you ran it at high priority.

If an occasional random crash, error, or lockup is okay with you, then you don't need to be so obsessive about testing.

dkdgbroyles said:
Well I'm sure u will back off ur overclock just a little. If it fails a little over 5hrs then ur sure not far from the stable point. I know it's hard to get ur self to lower the fsb or the multiplier but it will go faster in the long run.

Well, you might be right, but since these are new sticks, I'm still hoping they have some burn-in potential, and I use Prime95 to help me with this. In the beginning they wouldn't do 194MHz 2-2-2-6 stable, and now they can do much better (208MHz for over 5 hours and trying to improve...).

Back