• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Squeeling Any One????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neo_18

anyone have there CPU squeel b4??? well my dose...LOL dont know if thats a good thing or not.. but have underclocked my sys for now coz im just dont feel like messing with it right now. it was doing this squeeling thing when i ran benchmarks or ran games like UT04 or BF:V.. this is what it was clocked at when it was doing this squeeling thing.

my sys
Soltek SL-75FRN2-L
420w No Name PS
2000+ Thoroughbred OC@ 166/12.5/1.65v (2088.2MHz)
Thermaltake Xaser III V1000D " i have all 7 fans running on the 12v connector, but running off the fan controller "
512 DDR 2700 Generic / 2.6v
ATI 9600 Pro
Soundblaster live 5.1 MP3+Gamer
120gig Seagate
40gig Maxtor
10/100 Generic network card

and no it was not a fan or my video card or and thing like that. i swaped out everything and it was still doing it at my OC speed.. but when i set it to the default clock the squeeling stoped:-/

anyone here seen or had this prob???

Neo

hmmm, well the cpu doesn't have any moving parts...could you be more specific? is the sound coming from the speakers or from the cpu itself?

well temps where 47.1 C under load... and no have not remounted the HS sin, i have got the board. and that was about mmmmm 2 weeks ago..

i also found out today that my 9 pin hook up in the back are bad. COM 1 and 2.. when i try and use my DSS loader it messes up.. but then i use all the same cables and hardwadre on my other computers.. it works just fine :(

i think this mobo is messed up

but ill check out that cpu in bit.. how could tell if its bad or not?

neo

i have not checked yet... but if the die was cracked or broke. would the computer still work??

coz im on it now and have not looked at the cpu :eek:

If the die was cracked or broken, the computer wouldn't work. If it's thermaly related sqeeling, it could CAUSE the die to crack. When you put you computer under stress, the temp goes up, and may cause it to squeel. when you lowered the speed, the temps went down and got rid of the squeeling.

well im using a silver based grease. i it 25% silver. when i was runing at 166 fsb i was @ 47.1C under load.. 47 is hi, but is still safe is it not?

but i am going to check out the die after i make supper. and if i need to add more grease i will. but when i was runing at 166 and temps where 47... if it was a heat prob, would the temps go up or no?

well i know my bros xp 1700+ when you scroll or do anything, it makes this high pitched whining noise. i have no clue what it is.

47.1c isn't very high. I'm on water and I'm running at 50c right now, but that's because I don't have my fans on :D But if it was thermal squeeling it would be caused by CHANGING temps, not stable one's. Now if the squeeling is comming from your speakers, it's just interference. I had this on my old mobo and I had to mute all channels but "Master" "Wave" and "Synth". I muted "CD","Line-in","mic" etc...

Oh, to post pics, you either use the image tags "
image.jpg"
" or you can attach an image of less than 200k and that's smaller than 640x640.

ok lets try this again.. + i just poped off the HS and added sum new past .. still geting the same temps and still geting the same squeeling sound at 166fsb.. i know its not a fan.. and my sound sys off. so i know its not a sound prob,

Attachments

• temp readings1.jpg
    temp readings1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 932
My guess is that squeal comes from power supply switch. Some FETs does that under stress then it will eventually die. Try switch out the PSU if the squeal is still there it comes from the mobo FETs.

Last edited:
FETs? what are those? yah ill have to try the ps thing.. but if its the FET things on the mobo sould i be worried? sould i RMA it? the mobo is only 2 weeks old.

FETs on the mobo supply power to the cpus. 5V is what supply power to the cpu thru the 2 legs FET. You can find them near the cpu sockets along with some donut coil and capacitors. The FET are normally very hot when it is working hard. Some of them leak too much frequency and it squeal b/c of the high switching frequency. Sometimes the coil could squeal too.

Yeah, I just thought of that. The coil's could squeal while under load... Does it just do it at 166mhz FSB or what?

Too see if it's the coil's, underclock the proc to as slow as you can get it, then up the voltage. (500mhz would do great) Then run Prime95 and see if it squeals.

Basically the proc should run plenty cool, yet draw a fair amount of current becasue of the high v-core. This actually the same thing people do when they "Burn-in" CPU's

the lowest i can do on FSB is 100fsb. and the highest i can get on Vcore is 1.85v. what sould i set the muilt, @????

Back