• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile 2400 OC problems - HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KarateChamp

Registered
Well as you can see this is my first post.. and i need help .. here's the problem:
I bought a Mobile 2400 (AQYFA-0343-WPMW), an NF7 2.0 and SuperTalent MALABS DDR400 512 mb memory.
well i bought this obviously to OC so, when i start trying to oc it i get in troubles,
- i set the memory on 11-3-3-2 and everything's ok on 200 fsb.. but when y pass forward that.. maybe without pass with those timings.... it sounds an alarm and says something like Bios BootLock v1 BIOS CHECKSUM ERROR and then it says that i should insert a disk to flash the bios.. or resets the computer .. or shows error on windows startup and applications
Then i switch it off.. put the clear cmos and then back and switch it on and works again with the last config.
if I use the By SPD setting it reaches like 220 FSB but becomes unstable on windows or prime test.. and i know people that reached 219 fsb 11-3-3-2 with the same memos....

so what could be my problem.. ????? vcore vdimm, timings, i would try whatever.. cause i don't what to spend money for nothing :(

Last edited:
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!
.... and the sickness :eek:

Every system is different. One limiting factor may be your RAM ... I'm not versed in all the different manufacturers, but I've never heard of SuperTalent RAM, and quality RAM definitely makes a difference when you are trying to overclock it. Also, as you raise the FSB for your RAM, you are probably going to need to raise the voltages for it, as well (but without knowing what kind of RAM that is and what kind of chips it uses, I really can't give any advice there).

I have some awesome RAM, but right now my NF7-S motherboard won't let me go above 218 stable with it when I test in Memtest, and when I test it with a program like Prime95, it actually fails at 215. So I'm at 210 right now, and slowly trying to bump it up until I find the wall where I can't go any higher. Then it'll be time to do the L12 Mod, and maybe do some soldering to the motherboard to increase available voltage for my RAM.

Depending on what your RAM is rated for, you may also need to relax those memory timings, though that causes a decrease in performance, so it's not really recommended.

Start bumping up your FSB in increments of 1 or 2, and use a low multiplier, like 8, so that you can be sure your CPU isn't a limiting factor.

Other factors that play heavily into how far you can overclock are your power supply and cooling (both VERY important ... if you don't have a quality power supply, you won't get sufficient/consistent enough power to have a stable overclock).

I'm sure others here will have lots of other things to add to help you out. It would probably be beneficial if you would go ahead and post your entire system's parts, including the manufacturer of each item if it's not obvious by the name of the product.

- Dave

oh. thanks for the wellcome :D ,
i'll give you the details

- Got CPU Interface Enabled

- Memory is manufactured by Xerox.. DDR 400 Mhz CAS 2 has aluminum heatsink and the chip is Winbond Ch-5.

- Power Supply it's a Vitsuba (VTB) 450 W.

- Cooling is a Titan Cu heatsink - TTC-CU5TB/F (I know it's not the best but I'm not trying to take the micro over 2500 mhz.. yet :p cause the problem shows up even at low speeds)

- Tried to go rising the vcore and vdimm but it's always the same so the problem would go on other part..

The thing that stills bothering me and don't know why is the problem that when i raise more than 205 or so on CAS 2 it shows that of Bios Checksum Error

I know people with this exactly memory that hast raised it to 219 (438) without even touch the vdimm and using 11-3-3-2 timings :eek: ... but that could be relative ..

Hope to have provided the needed information.. thx :)

Try first raising the motherboard voltage to the max which I believe is 1.7 or 1.8V. SLOW your timings on your ram to cas 2.5.

What we are trying to find is 1 bottleneck at a time, after you check how the syatem boots you can start playing with other variables..

Also raise you V core on the chip to 1.65 and lower your multiplier to something low as mentioned in an earlier post.

You have to try to ISOLATE different parts to see where the weakness are at.

I fully concur with PerlAddict's advice.

Disabling cpu-interface may stabilize a higher overclock but the performance hit equals roughly 15-20mhz fsb so don't entertain that idea. Have you tried Cas 2.5-3-3-11 to experiment? Since the NF7-S is known to have issues near 220fsb you might want to try something like 210fsb w/a low cpu multiplier and run the mem on spd just to experiment.

That psu may also have trouble with high voltages so keep it in mind.

Keep us updated on your results.

- yeah.. i'll tell you.. i've tried alredy 2.5-3-3-11 but that's not what i expect.. doesn't increase too much the performance with those timings :( ...

- why should i put the motherboard voltage on the maximum?

- i'll try meanwhile.. if you recommend an especial bios.. i got it was 22.. but i also have the recent version of the NF7 wich i believe is not the best quality :(....

i'll keep you updated.. just explain me Hughhefner's post please :)

thx

Well i've tried to make something to test if everything was alright before oc or something.. look what i did and what i find..

- I set the Micro on 133*13.5 like default, vcore 1.45
- CPU interface still enabled
- The Cpu/FSB Ratio on By SPD so the mem will be default
- Timings By SPD too.
- Others voltages default.. vdimm 2.6, chipset 1.6.

Then i left it all the night doing a Blend Torture Test on Prime95, to my surprise i just got up, and it shows an error at -- 5 hours and 14 minutes (Rounding was 0.4997....., expected less than 0.4)

Well now the question is .. WHY IF I HAVE EVERYTHING ON DEFAULT IT HAS STABILITY PROBLEMS, AND IN JUST 5 HOURS!!!!!! :(

Raising your motherboard voltage to 1.7V will let your motherboard run at a higher fsb. 1.6 was only meant to be stable for 200-maybe a little more. My mobos need 1.9V to hit in the 230+ range.

All ram is different, most of the cas2 ram that I have worked with specify a range of voltage needed to hit their specs.

For example, one manufacture I know state 217 cas 2 at 2.6-2.9V
What that means is that it MAY take up to 2.9V to get the modules to work error free at the rated spec of 217 which is PC3500. Winbond ch5 is usually good for 225 at 2.9V at cas 2--yes your stick may vary.

Having the ram run at SPD while the CPU run at stock 133 is NOT what you want for best performance. AMD chips like everything to run Nsync--no not the band.

Your memory settings should be the same fsb as your CPU.

Try 200X8 to start. , memory at 100% or 1:1 ratio with the CPU. 1.50 voltage-just a tad higher than stock. 2.7V memory vdimm, 1.7V vdd motherboard

Good luck

I'd say go ahead and put your CPU at 1.6v or 1.65v, even. 1.65v is stock voltage for a desktop XP, and while the mobiles are supposed to be able to run at a lower vcore, yours may need one closer to a stock desktop's.

That mem won't go far on stock voltage - I'd give like 2.7 without hasitation.
Bridge votlage - 1.6 isn't enough for that FSB - it gives not enough power to bridge - try 1.7 af it that doesn't help much - 1.8 (check temperature)
CPU voltage - you may try playing with ultra-low votlage, but there's nothing bad in giving 1.65 and more (also notice that this mobo has tendency to undervolt CPUs)
L12 mod seems to be a must...

Ok, I am having a problem with my XP2400-M as well. Stepping IQYHA. System is not Prime stable over ~2.22 Ghz even with 1.75 Vcore

Mem is 1GB XMS TwinX PC2700 @ 2.7v
A7N8X-Dlx
Memtest shows stable over 7 hrs @ 195FSB
I have tried everything I can think of. Temps have not gone over 50C. Any ideas?

EDIT: Nope, I must have a moob or PSU problem because when I started F@H (at 185x12.5) it killed the WU. I just backed it down to 175x12.5 cuz if my XP2100 can run it I sure hope my 2400-M can!

Last edited:
I have the same AQYFA-0343-WPMW 2400m as you. I got it off ebay and the guy claimed 2400mhz primed for 200 hours. It will boot to 2400mhz at [email protected] but when i open any program it blue screens.

Most i can get out of it is [email protected]. Any speed higher fails. Any voltage lower fails. Its running 14x158(2200)@1.75 right now in my overclockix box.

What is your highest stable speed? I have tried everything to get more then 2300 out of it. I got a 2500 that only does 2300mhz also. So i think i got two ok chips. Was shooting for 2500mhz.

KarateChamp said:
Well i've tried to make something to test if everything was alright before oc or something.. look what i did and what i find..

- I set the Micro on 133*13.5 like default, vcore 1.45
- CPU interface still enabled
- The Cpu/FSB Ratio on By SPD so the mem will be default
- Timings By SPD too.
- Others voltages default.. vdimm 2.6, chipset 1.6.

Then i left it all the night doing a Blend Torture Test on Prime95, to my surprise i just got up, and it shows an error at -- 5 hours and 14 minutes (Rounding was 0.4997....., expected less than 0.4)

Well now the question is .. WHY IF I HAVE EVERYTHING ON DEFAULT IT HAS STABILITY PROBLEMS, AND IN JUST 5 HOURS!!!!!! :(

ok i'll try what you said playboy.. thanks for the lot of help.. but you still didn't answer this....... i got stability problems on default.. OMG :( and now used the large FFt test on P95, it just held 1 hour and 5 minutes :(

These chips are made to run in laptops at 1.45v ... 1.45v isn't exactly default for a desktop system. Default voltage is usually considered 1.65v for an Athlon XP. At least try running 1.55v or 1.6v (NF7-S's tend to undervolt, anyway, so you may only be giving it like 1.425v when you set it for 1.45v in the Bios).

thx for teh info.. now i'll set it like 200X8 to start. , memory at 100% or 1:1 ratio with the CPU. 1.50 voltage-just a tad higher than stock. 2.7V memory vdimm, 1.7V vdd motherboard like Hughhefner said.. and then what?

- start changing timings and vdimm?
- start changing fsb and vdimm in by Spd timings?
- change fsb and then timings.. dunno :p

:D thx to all i'll keep you updated

Well i managed to used this settings now.. but.. think it's not stable :( so if have any ideas.....

- Fsb 210, interface enabled, cpu/fsb ratio Auto (1:1) , 11-3-3-2 timings... 210 * 8x 1.7 vcore by bios, 2.8vdimm, 1.7 vchip.

temps are preety good.. considering that i don't close my case :p.. 22º SYS, 38º CPU idle (don't have super cooler neither :p), and the memory heatsinks are as cold as... mr ice :rolleyes:

any suggestions? i think it isn''t stable at all.. :mad:

EDIT : blend test - 4 minutes.. FATAL ERROR :(

Last edited:
Has it rebooted on you with those settings, or had programs crashed? Have you tried running Prime95?

My NF7-S rev. 2 motherboard hated FSB increases when I first started tweaking it. I can boot as high as 220 with a really low multiplier, but it locks up pretty quick. I can get in and benchmark at 219 and 218, but right now I'm trying to get stable at 217.

For right now, just for stability purposes, try running that RAM at it's default of 200FSB ... I don't know much about Xerox-made RAM, but in combination with a tricky FSB bus motherboard like the NF7, it might be good to just run it at default for a bit and try upping your multiplier. See if you can boot and run stable at 11 x 200 (which is an XP 3200+ speed) at a vcore of 1.65v, a vdd on your chipset of 1.6v or 1.7v, and keep your ram vdimm the same.

At 11 x 218 a few days ago, my system was WAY more unstable than it was at 12 x 200, and 12 x 200 is actually a WEE bit faster MHz wise (but not performance wise, since you lose all that memory bandwidth).

but what would i do then.. I WANT TO OC MY MEM.. otherwise i spent money for nothing on CAS 2 Memory. :S

KarateChamp said:
thx for teh info.. now i'll set it like 200X8 to start. , memory at 100% or 1:1 ratio with the CPU. 1.50 voltage-just a tad higher than stock. 2.7V memory vdimm, 1.7V vdd motherboard like Hughhefner said.. and then what?

- start changing timings and vdimm?
- start changing fsb and vdimm in by Spd timings?
- change fsb and then timings.. dunno :p

:D thx to all i'll keep you updated

it reboots itself when i charge it with games for expl. :( :mad:

Back