• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

12Vdc blower to a dimmer - need electrical help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueMan

So I just got the 12v DC blower from surpluscenter.com that was being talked about a bit ago. however, the motor is single speed, and I want to hook it up to a dimmer. But I know it's not just that simple.

Now I know enough about electronics to know that a regular AC dimmer for a lightswitch won't work since the interrupted current on an AC dimmer would burn out the DC motor.

is there a special DC motor dimmer out there?

Thanks for the help

BlueMan said:
So I just got the 12v DC blower from surpluscenter.com that was being talked about a bit ago. however, the motor is single speed, and I want to hook it up to a dimmer. But I know it's not just that simple.

Now I know enough about electronics to know that a regular AC dimmer for a lightswitch won't work since the interrupted current on an AC dimmer would burn out the DC motor.

is there a special DC motor dimmer out there?

Thanks for the help

which one?

At 8 amps, you're not going to be able to use a regular fan controller. You could make a variable voltage regulator like in the thread I linked. If you split the dual blower into two separate blowers, each would draw 4 amps. In the that thread, there is noted a different regulator that functions the same, but has a max current of 5 amps. You could use two regulators.

squeakygeek said:
At 8 amps, you're not going to be able to use a regular fan controller. You could make a variable voltage regulator like in the thread I linked. If you split the dual blower into two separate blowers, each would draw 4 amps. In the that thread, there is noted a different regulator that functions the same, but has a max current of 5 amps. You could use two regulators.

yes

or, use a power transistor to control it

you really need a PWM circuit (pulse width modulation) look on eBay, ~$30

btw, nice plug for the site, squeaky

Back