• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IC7 all versions and PLL cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

confused

Is everyone using some sort of cooling on the PLL chip, either microsink or other applicable passive cooling. Or how many people are OC'in without any cooling on the PLL?

Im thinking about yanking the passive sink of my defective P4C800E dlx board before i send it in and adhere it to the PLL chip

the higher the fsb goes the hotter mine got.
i use a heatsink the half the size of a north bridge heatsink cut in half.
but i run 290+ fsb so i need it.

i just cut up what i have laying around in my heatsink collection.hacksaw does the job nicley or a dremel if i had one.
but it does help imo to sink it up.
im really carefull tho and a little over pretective about heat issues while running a prescott.it may not be necesary but it surely wouldnt hurt.

I would say that most people using Northwoods are probably not doing many mobo cooling mods other than maybe upgrading northbridge cooling. The Max3 has it's own special OTES mosfet cooling. I'm sure this is better than nothing, but I've heard some people claim it's a little wimpy. If you are planning to try a Prescott, then I highly recommend cooling mods if you want a high O/C.

Here is a pic of my IC7-G showing what I did. The red arrows point to mosfet sinks I installed, the yellow arrow points to a sink on the PLL or clock generator chip (I used two mosfet sinks side by side), and the blue arrow points to a sink on the southbridge chip. These are all Microcool heatsinks shown in the pic. The northbridge cooling in the pic is stock, I have since added a Thermaltake N/B cooler. I should take another pic I suppose.

IC7-G+mobo+sinks.jpg

You really probably don't need extra PLL chip cooling unless you are running high FSB and/or a Prescott.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info, i still might put the ole passive NB cooler off my Asus board on my PLL chip, only running 250 FSB, for now

Do it if you really want, but that's a big heatsink for a little chip. Watch out for a couple of caps between the PLL and N/B, plus the N/B fan header is not far away. The southbridge can get a little warm too, you might consider putting your extra N/B sink on the S/B chip and then find a slightly smaller one for the PLL chip (or cut down a sink). The PLL clock generator chip is sort of long and narrow. Keep us posted with results.

batboy i think you have missed a very hot set of mosfets i think i forgot to mention.
i circled it on your pic. the agp mosfets.
isnt the most important but can be and gets hot as heck even with a ramsink on them.for people ocing with volt modded agp cards its needed but i do it as im just paranoid about cooling everything.

Attachments

• batboys mobo.JPG
    batboys mobo.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 451
Decided to follow your advice, Deathstar, but I don't have anything that will fit onto one of the circled mosfets closest to the southbridge (the caps are too close). I'll need to cut or grind one of my sinks down a little.

i took one and hacksawed it so it is long and narrow sink now.
honestly i could and still can burn my finger with a ramsink on them with a large 120mm fan blowing bottom half my case and still its smoken hot.

what i did was lay it so it runs almost parallel to the pci slots. mine is 1/4"x 1"

I just got my microcool sinks, and sidwindercomputers sent me an extra mosfet chipsink instead of a PLL one... think it will still work ok? It just won't cover the chip all the way. Contacting them about a $1.50 chipsink just doesn't seem worth it.

I used two mosfet heatsinks side by side on my PLL chip. One will probably be better than none, but it would be nice to cover the whole chip.

I once ordered two 120mm fans and was sent two 80mm fans instead. I sent a nice email telling them what happened. They told me to keep the fans I got and that they would send me the additional fans that I ordered free of charge, which they did. Perhaps that will be what happens in your situation.

Two 120mm fans, but single rad which is attached to the back of the computer. It's a Swiftech Q-Power case that came completely pre-modded, assembled, and ready to go. Here's a link that explains all. It's a good no-brainer beginner's watercooling system. You can probably build a better system for a little less if you were motivated.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles542/

I got it from Sidewinder Computers last summer. Not sure if it's still available. I got the optional GPU water block too.

Back