• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sharing dsl w/ out a router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
can it be done? I'm sure this has been asked but I don't want to spend 80$ on a router. I'm setting up a home nework and would like to share dsl. earthlink will send me a modem and it says it will be hooked up to my network card (if it was a pci card i would know what to do).
thanks

ok I just learned something, I neeed to have 2 network cards, right? My house is prewired with T1000 lines, do I still need a router? I don't think so but want to be sure.

Last edited:
If you don't want to use a router then you can still use 2 NICs in one PC to share the connection with the others with DSL. I prefer a router, however...never have to worry about shutting it down and killing the connection to the other PCs that use it for their connections.

Last edited:
Here's what I do: DSL usually allocates 5 IP addresses or so per house. You need the following:

1 Hub
1 Ethernet card/computer
CAT 5 Ethernet Cable

First, connect all computers to the hub, make sure all the linklites are on.

Second, connect the DSL modem to the hub, there are 2 ways of doing this, one of them will work:
1-Use the cable they give you (straight cable) and connect it to the uplink port on the hub.
2-Use a crossover cable to a regular port on the hub.

NOTE: if the uplink port is shared with a regular port, use only one at a time (ie: if the uplink is shared w/ port 1, use only the uplink or only port 1, not both at the same time)

When you get a linklite on for the modem, boot up one computer, and see if you get internet access.

Then install the DSL 'dialup program' on another computer, same username & password. I've gotten 8 computers connected on the same modem on the same account before.

thanks su root for the sugestion. you were able to connect to the internet from more than one computer at the same time right?

I'm either going to do what you suggested or just by a router. what router should i get?

also 'crossover' cable, is that just regular R-J 45 cabling? or do i need to buy somthing special?

Last edited:
If you are going to get a router, I suggest a Linksys (although I don't own, I have used them, and they are good.)

Yes, I was able to connect them all to the internet at the same time, but they had to all share the same bandwidth.

Crossover cable is CAT5 RJ-45 cable, but the Rx & Tx lines are swaped on one end (ie: computer1 outputs on the Tx(transfer) to computer2's Rx(recieve)). These are usually orange or red cables (whereas regular CAT5 is blue or grey). Go down to your nearest computer store, they'll make some up for you or sell you some pre-packaged ones.

For router choices I would recommend a D-Link you can get one with a built in four port switch for little to nothing in the cost department and it's got some great features =) Check it out, you won't be disappointed, your Modem will come with the necessary cable, which will then get connected to the WAN connection on the router, the rest connect to the LAN section. All cable's you need are also included with the D-Link =)

J

Paul -The Mad Hatter said:
well i think i'm going w/ the router. now when should i be using crossover cabling and when should I be using the regular type of cabling? I'm a bit confused :confused:

If you're using a router, and you're going to have 2 or more computers on the network (Connected the the router), then you don't use crossovers. You use straight-through. If there's only 1 computer being connected to the router, then you use a crossover between the router and the computer. If there's a hub in the equation, don't use crossovers.

PhLuBB said:

If you're using a router, and you're going to have 2 or more computers on the network (Connected the the router), then you don't use crossovers. You use straight-through. If there's only 1 computer being connected to the router, then you use a crossover between the router and the computer. If there's a hub in the equation, don't use crossovers.

thanks for clearing that up for me :)

and thanks all for the help

Rule of thumb for crossover cable:

Straight Cable: Computer to Hub; Computer to Switch
Crossover Calbe: Hub to Hub; Computer to Computer; Switch to Switch; Hub to Switch

EDIT:
Oh, and forgot to mention:
Crossover: Computer to Uplink
Straight: Uplink to Uplink

Last edited:
su root said:
Rule of thumb for crossover cable:

Straight Cable: Computer to Hub; Computer to Switch
Crossover Calbe: Hub to Hub; Computer to Computer; Switch to Switch; Hub to Switch

Host to hub is crossover also.

Back