• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FSB Limits on Intel 845E chipset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RobotFace100

Ram and CPU FSB allowances can bottleneck a system, what about the FSB speed rating of a chipset? My chipset is rated to handle either a 400Mhz or 533Mhz Northwood CPU and only 266Mhz ram. Right now I am running the FSB at 133 pushing the CPU to 2.4Ghz and my ram FSB to 354Mhz. My ram is rated to run at up to 433Mhz so I know the ram is cool, but what about the mother board? The 845E chipset says that it only accepts 266Mhz pipeline for the ram, could I damage the motherboard by running the ram at 354Mhz or higher? System is stable and temps are cool.

Any advice is appreciated, I have searched the net but haven't found any 845E setups with the ram pushed so high.

My Setup:
CPU - 1.8 P4 400Mhz Northwood
Ram - PC3500 DDR433 CL2.5 PNY 512x2
MoBo - Gigabyte 8IEXP 845E Chipset

It just depends on the motherboard...

I had an Albatron PX845PE Pro IIs with a 2.4B that ran at 166FSB (3ghz) and the ram worked at 442mhz. I sold that board, chip and ram together and the person I sold it to is still using it at those speeds.

I also had another one of those same boards that I dropped in a 2.4C and ran it at 208FSB for 28 hours while testing with dual prime95's. (hyperthreading enabled). The ram was running at 416mhz and it worked fine for the whole time. Helluva fast board at those speeds, but no dual channel memory support...

It just depends on what kind of stress your board can deal with. Some boards can belt out the high FSB's, others just can't.

Back