• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone ever use CLR?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ElroyCarbon

Hey guys I haven't had to touch my machine since last september, but is is now asking me for more water. Since I have to break the circuit I figured I'd go ahead and perform a little preventative maintainence. I was thinking of running CLR throught the circuit for an hour or two.......any thoughts. I use the "clear flex" from Danger Den. After cleaning a fresh install of chemicals. I did a search, but bleach doesn't sound like the greatest idea. Thanks!

http://polsteins.com/clrcallimrus.html

Wow, i have no idea about CLR but that stuff scares me... I've seen and tried the pinsol + lysol recommendation, that seemed to go OK but for the life of me I can't get that smell out of anything now and I figure if it still smells it still needs to be rinsed out more...

I used Simple Green to clean out my system, works great and its not toxic. Before you could not see thought my tubes after they were clean as new.

CLR has 2 or 3 different acids, it is great for flushing a HC before installing. I personally wouldn't use it in a assembled system.

I've used it myself, and it works okay. I wouldn't run it for hours, it's got detergents that will foam in your pump, which is hard on the impeller. A half hour should do plenty.
Make darned sure you rinse afterwards very well, several times. Then rinse with distilled again, before filling.

Plain old white vinegar cleans out me coffee pot better though...Same stringent rinsing directions too.

The simple green sounds like the better idea. Love the smell of the chlorafil it has, though it may do nothing for corrosion (if that's what you're after).

I've used it to clean my WB and radiator by using another pump just had it running in my sink for about 15 mins in a loop and then drained it, and rinsed it with water and put it back. Seemed to work good.

CLR looks like pretty harsh stuff...id be sceptical about running it through my loop.

Yea i just put it some in the tube let it sit 15-30 min depending on the tube, then i dump out and rinse clear as new, kind hard to see on that picture.

Back