• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just a thought

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OK but seriously then, check out my bong cooling link and see what you think.

the only problem I have with water cooling is the risk involved.

Too many threads read where someone hosed a vid card, mobo, or something due to a leak in a line, a resv, or some other issue.

too risky for unattended systems to me.

Too many threads read where someone hosed a vid card, mobo, or something due to a leak in a line, a resv, or some other issue.

Honestly if you test your loops, and use something like distilled water that won't conduct electricity (I think...I'm recalling this from being away from WCing for a while), then you should be fine. It is a risk yeah, but I think if you know what your doing and have everything hooked up properly your fine.

I've actually seen a bunch of threads of people saving their stuff even after it was wet.

The risks of water cooling can be reduced in several ways

1. Using a tube cutter for an even cut.

2. Compression fitting for a tighter seal.
Also using 7/16" tubing for a tighter fit over 1/2" barbs w/ worm clamps .

3. Leak test your loop out of the case for 24 hrs.
Fill up res and turn on and off repeat until loop is full.
3a. If that is not possible just hook your water cooling loop and a fan to power supply and put paper towels where the hose and barbs connect and also where water may fall on vid cards bottom of case then use a purchased 20 or 24 pin jumper that connects to the atx 20 or24 pin.
Do not hook up your mainboard to the power supply

4.Follow the recommended period to flush your system.
The longer Destilled water or non-conductive fluid stays in your system the more conductive it get's and the greater the chance of damage to your system on a leak.
Never reuse the fluid

5.After you do you a flush it would be a good recommendation to repeat 3a. if you have added to your loop.

6. Change your tubing every 3-5 yrs.

This is probably as close as you'll get to 100% safe.

I don't know the posters you mentioned circumstances but post I've read on different sites where posters have had leaks they just cleaned up the leak and let there card or board dry out and there stuff worked.

Last edited:
Solid components, a basic knowledge of what you're doing, and thorough testing is all that's needed for a good loop. 24 hour leak testing should be done inside the case with everything else in position and the power turned off to everything but the pump.

27 months and still counting on my oldest loop with no leaks or problems but with regular maintenance ... :)

Solid components, a basic knowledge of what you're doing, and thorough testing is all that's needed for a good loop. 24 hour leak testing should be done inside the case with everything else in position and the power turned off to everything but the pump.

27 months and still counting on my oldest loop with no leaks or problems but with regular maintenance ... :)

Hit the nail right on the head. Water coolign needs to be maintained. That's not saying you need to inspect it everytim eyou turn on your computer. But you should give it an inspection once in a while. And make sure to change out your coolant mixture once in a while.

Heck, any PC needs maintenance, even an aircooled Pc needs to be cleaned, and the HSF reseated once in a while.

Okay my turn.

I have seen peeps come here and the other forums I frequent. Some are more general and uninformed places than here, some very technical. This forum is a really good mix of noobs, experts, and peeps like me stuck in the middle.

We get all sorts of noob questions. Some come in here wanting a WC setup for $50 and the only thing they want is a 'Best Buy/Walmart' experiance where they put it on the table and it does the rest, they need no advise except 'tell me what to buy'. Some come in knowing something about that 'magic box' on their desk, they have overclocked, and read the manual a few times and have used the web to learn. They see a WC rig and are interested in learning more. Then we have the experianced OC who needs lower temps, knows how to read the forums and how to do research on their own.

Once these three groups move to WC, then we get to experiance levels and... um forum competence. Some post researched common sense info, some post elite do this or die (the get this part FTW) and say no more to furthur the thread (thanks LOL), and finally the completly uninformed about the whole concept.

I like to look at it like riding in an airplane. It's full of just about every financial/ethnic/religion/ etc etc group you can imagine. It's up to you, to decide whats worth listening to and whats not. We have it all here.

When someone comes in here asking questions, we gotta see what they are like. Budget, level of intelligence, seriousness to WC, a million things. Every case is different, each case will get replies that are plain crap, some over their head, or will insult their intelligence.

Rjcouture1, don't fret so much, answer or help if you can, or if ya don't feel like it cuz the garbage needs to go out, or you dunno the right answer, don't worry.

Let the board do it's thing, ignore the fluff/silly peeps, and be a good forum citizen.

Not saying I wouldn't like to see the perfect recommendations for each person. One thing I will never do is recommend a cheapo kit knowing what I know now. Someone might get a TT kit and say it's okay. Cool for them. Thats me. Cuz I'm one person on the airplane and I do have a voice.

BTW, your effort is appreciated in the first post. You got the right idea. So hard to fill the needs of each person, they are soo diff.

I'd be one of those people who has nothing technical to contribute to this thread (sorry!). I am merely stopping by to thank you for a brutally frank, yet profound assessment of the dynamics of our (any) forum. With a single post, you have captured the essence of what transpires here day in and day out. IMHO, you have offered a master-class on a very rewarding view-port to the forums. Great post man!
smiley%20%2813%29.gif

Back