• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is geil a good OC'er???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stang8118

i am looking at this set on Newegg... it seems to support high voltages, so i would assume its good at OCing? I was kinda set on Kingston value ram, but after looking at this i am unsure :(

It will be going in an Asus board FYI. Hoping to get about a 250FSB with a prescott.

meionm - Try reading the subject of the message... duh

strang8118 - I don't know, as I have never used it, but am considering buying it since my A-Data DDR400 decided to fail as soon as I ran it a DDR400 speed (argh!). It looks nice, and I've done a little searching on Google and other forums and most of the people who've used it say it is good.

From my own quesiton about whether I should get Corsair or Geil:
- W.C Pohna - said:
You'd be better off with a gig of CAS 2.5 RAM than just 512 of CAS 2, go with the GEIL. I use it and it OCs pretty well

Last edited:
petteyg359 said:
meionm - Try reading the subject of the message... duh

/QUOTE]

I read the subject, I know for sure that pc4400 pc 4200 and pc4000 are very good overclockers from geil, they used the same stuff that corsair and ocz uses and even overclocks the same for cheaper, what I don't know is their pc3200 with low latencies, so yeah from my experience the geil is a good overclocker,

Ive got the Geil Golden Dragon Series. PC3200 and Im on 2.8vdimm (board limit) and Im running 250mhz, with the 3.0E currently at 3.75ghz.

It overclocks very well in my opinion.

my next question is this...

Can i use these both in duel channel, AND also use a single 512mb stick at the same time? Or will i only be able to run single channel since only 3 slots will be used?

And last question is when i can afford another set of this, will 4x256mb in duel channel work ok? Or would i need to upgrade to 2x512mb to get 1 gig? I never used up all 4 slots, so i am not sure if it would work ok.

I am going to be using an Asus P4P800e-Deluxe.

Dual channel will only work with 2 or 4 of the same identical stick's I used to have 4 x 256mb of the same memory I have now, but I upgraded to 2 x 512mb and gave the others to my brother. You can use all four slots, just make sure you have the same memory for dual channel

Do both sets of duel channel have to be the same make/model? Or can lets say for instance channel 1:3 be Geil PC3200 and channel 2:4 be Kingston PC3200? Or do i have to match ALL the channels with the same exact memory?

I am considering buying 2x512MB Geil DDR400 of the "Value" line. Any of you have that, or you guys all have "Ultra" line? I would like to OC it to 233MHz (my mobo's max).

Ha :)

That's way better than waht I'm looking at... Stuff I'm considering is only $138 on Outpost.com and definitely NOT Golden Dragon line :) It'll probably be good though, just looking at the specs it seems very nice, and I should be able to at least run it at rated speeds (unlike that A-Data DDR400 p.o.s.)

i had some geil memory on my old rig. definitely does its job. comes with the ramsink which is nice. i never overclocked it but it was as reliable as a watch and was a big boost for me from 256mb pc 2100 to 512mb pc3200. i think it could handle it, and i got the cheapest geil stuff i could find.

I got the 1gb Duel channle Golden dragon pc3200 ram for my NF7-S Amd system and it didnt work in duel channle properly even @ 133mhz, got another pair and same thing i cant recomend Geil to anyone sorry. On single channle they did however overclock to 240fsb. I got my money back for the ram tho and sticked with my Samsung pc2700 ram which works in duel channle and can do 224fsb with tighter timmings then the geil could do.

From what i know getting Value ram for any brand is a no no

Back