• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

simple water pump head question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tovas

lets say ya had a pump with 1" inlet and outlet and you constricted it down to a 1/2 inch would this decrease, increase or keep your head the same?

I'm no expert, but you would think that it would increase your head. At the same height, a 1" tube would be holding more water than a 1/2" tube, and therefore be harder to pump more water. I may be wrong though.

thanks Judge.

thats exactly what i was thinking but some of the things ive seen here have gone agenst basic thinking any experts know? also is there a formula to figure this out?

The head stays the same. Hose or pipe size has nothing to do with it.

Head is a measure of fluid energy. It refers to the amount of kinetic energy that has been imparted onto the water by the action of the pump. It has nothing to do with the actual dimensions of any particular column of water that happens to be coming out of the pump.

Graystar said:
The head stays the same. Hose or pipe size has nothing to do with it.

Head is a measure of fluid energy. It refers to the amount of kinetic energy that has been imparted onto the water by the action of the pump. It has nothing to do with the actual dimensions of any particular column of water that happens to be coming out of the pump.

winnar!

Back