• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5:4 divider is killing me!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redken

I have a new P4C800E-D rev 2.0 (printed on board) and the 5:4 divider is very very bad :cry:
My ram can do 253 FSB 1:1 3.4vdimm and my cpu can do 300 FSB (3.6GHZ) with stock voltages.
The 5:4 divider on this board only lets me to go up to 278 FSB which puts my ram at about 224 (more or less) and my CPU at 3.3GHZ.
My old board (a rev 2.0 but it had a label. Not printed) could get me to 290 FSB 5:4 no problem (but I killed it...long story... :( It will be missed).
I have tried a lot of thing to get it to work with no avail. Even got the vagp up to 1.98…but nothing!
I'm using 1017b Bios and I'm thinking of trying the 1014 and the 1018b to see if they will help at all.

Any more ideas?

I'm on a quest of getting at least to 292 FSB 5:4 and I have always liked ASUS boards (Intel and AMD) but right now I'm even thinking of trying out an ABIT IC7 :-/

The Plain IC7 would do you well.....You should've thought bout that before you got another P4C800-E board.....Average clocks i see these boards are doing are 260FSB. Most of the boards that do 300+ are the 865P chipsets....

No offence or anything, I wouldnt complain if i got myself a 270+FSB stable for 24/7 of use....

You can try the beta bios 1018.001.......

Vflux

the 5:4 and 3:2 dividers stress the northbridge more then 1:1, so simple things, like better cooling on the NB, and higher VAGP voltages may help.
if not, you might consider a VDD mod.

Vflux said:
You should've thought bout that before you got another P4C800-E board.....
I thought it would perform as well as my old P4C800-E
No offence or anything, I wouldn’t complain if i got myself a 270+FSB stable for 24/7 of use....
None taken, I always appreciate your help. :) I know what you are saying but 270 or even 280 FSB 5:4 is not giving me even close to what my CPU and RAM can really do. And that is what I want, to get them as close to what they can really do as possible. Right now they are very far away.
The thing is that my next big upgrade will probably be an A64 so I really want to make the most out of this 875i system

the 5:4 and 3:2 dividers stress the northbridge more then 1:1, so simple things, like better cooling on the NB, and higher VAGP voltages may help.
if not, you might consider a VDD mod.
Thanks for your suggestion Kunaak.
What you say is true and I am aware of it, that’s why I have the NB watercooled, Vagp up to 1.98v and Vdimm up to 3.4v

redken, have you ever considered a prescott?...4Ghz maybe!!!!IMO it's about time to retire the 2.4C. Just a thought!!!!

Vflux

Vflux said:
redken, have you ever considered a prescott?...4Ghz maybe!!!!IMO it's about time to retire the 2.4C. Just a thought!!!!

Vflux

Not really, I hear they get VERY hot...too hot to O/C much. I know the 2.4c is a bit old, but it gives me a nice big FSB. :D

Vflux said:
That's the reason why I asked you?...hehehe...14x-16x multi goodness.... :beer:

Vflux

I can see why:) but I'm still trying to find out if it's "worth" the change.
Right now I think a 3.2E would be my best bet. The way I figure, is that my RAM can do 250 FSB 1:1 (still working on getting it higher)so...a 3.2E @ 250 FSB (16x) would give me the best results. Of course that is counting on the CPU making it to 250 FSB :rolleyes: But, I'm still not 100% convinced. Still, reading a lot on the subject.

P.S. How is that special project of your coming along?

redken said:
P.S. How is that special project of your coming along?

Check the Droop mod sticky I attach it there. Im still having problems removing the mosfet from my dead mobo. Hehehehee...

Last edited:
Update...

O.K. What is holding me back here?
I still don't get this.
Isn't the 3:2 divider supposed to strain the NB more than the 5:4?
The way I figure if my NB and CPU can go up to 300 FSB then they can't be holding me back, right? and if my RAM can go 250, that cant be holding be back if I'm using 5:4 (that would put it at 226@280 FSB) so it shouldn't be holding me back either. But I can’t seem to be able to get above 280FSB using the 5:4.

So, what is holding me back? CPU, NB or MEM?

P.S.: The 3.2E is on it's way :)

Back