• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bought HyperX PC4000 at best buy for $119 with mail in, need info on ram.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xerotheory

Registered
So i decided to get this because its so cheap, and my current Corsair Value ram(pc3200) is horrible at overclocking, and i have a 2.4ghz p4c.

So how is this ram, i read its fine at 250, but mixed reviews at above 250.

Also im thinking of getting the ic7g-maxII to overclock this week. Going to run the 2.4 at 3.0 (250x12). Also, im wondering if it has an option for a 5:4 ratio? And if it does, can someone tell me what that would put the clock at if i use 250 and a 12 multiplier.

thank you

The ICs (Bynix bt-d43s or some Hynix variant) should overclock above 250 with 3-4-4 timings and perhaps a touch of voltage.

Only do 5:4 (a pretty standard memory divider) if your CPU still has headroom above 250 fsb. Your best bet is to run 1:1 unless you have a crappy stick since those chips won't do tight timings ~ddr400.

Well my prc does have a lot of headroom above 250, so i think 5:4 will be fine.

At 1:1 at 250 itll reach 3, but users have reached 2.5+ with the 2.4

The 5:4 ratio has several components in its formula. If you know some, you can calculate the other, just like in any algebraic equation (and you never thought you would have to use algebra in real life, huh?).

In the classic example: memory at default 200

200 / 4 = 50 x 5 = 250 or alternatively if you want 250 fsb then divide by 5 and multiply by 4 to get your ram speed (250 / 5 = 50 x 4 = 200).

Just plug in the values that you know (I have an Excel spreadsheet set up with different fsb and different memory default speeds so that I don't have to re-figure it out everytime) in the formula and it will calculate the values you are looking for.

If you were running your ram at 250 with a 5:4 divider, then the cpu would be running at 3.75 GHz, which would put you in a select group of not many.

250 / 4 = 62.5 x 5 = 312.5 x 12 = 3.75 GHz (quadpumped 312.5 = 1250 fsb)

By the way, some boards display the options for selecting the memory ratio a little different than straight ratios. For example, the 5:4 is displayed as the option "DDR320" and the 3:2 as option "DDR 266", the calculations end up being the same, but with a little rounding difference.

Using default (200 x 2 = DDR400) speed for the ram:

For 5:4 the calculations are: 320 / 4 = 80 x 5 = 400 or

For 3:2 the calculations are: 266 / 2 = 133 x 3 = 399

I hope that I answered some of your questions and didn't end up going off on a tangent.

Last edited:
thank you, i appreciate it.

Basicly so at 250 for mem and to run 5:4 id need watercooling. Point taken.

xerotheory said:
thank you, i appreciate it.

Basicly so at 250 for mem and to run 5:4 id need watercooling. Point taken.

Yeah, that was kind of what I was trying to say. It is not to say that no one has ever done it, just that it would be pretty rare. And getting there vs getting there and being stable is also another thing. Big difference between being able to take a screenshot and being able to play your favorite game for hours on hours.

Back