• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to allow different users to use different things on XP Pro.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=Ambush=-

So here here's the deal. 2 of my friends use my computer to play Rome:Total War and Doom 3 becasue they're computers suck. I've had no problem with that and usually leave my door unlocked so that they can play whenever they want

However now, one my my more a-holish friends has chosed ot put gay pr0n on my computer twice now (you knwo the saying, fools me once shame on you, fool me twice....and I'm not kidding unfortunately :() So I've set up 3 users for me the admin, and my 2 friends with a limited account.

But here's the problem, for the one who wants to play Rome, rome just isn't there when he logs in. It isn't in my other friends account either. Most of the program from my admin acount are there, but not Rome. I even tried going into the directory and finding the Rome .exe but that doesn't work either. How do i get it so he can play rome without having an admin account?

Problem 2, since I have a stealthed drive, I use DDCD to open and close my drive, it is a simple program that is in the taskbar tray. When either limitedf accounts are on it, they can use it. Is there a way to allow them to use it? True teh can just go to thd D;\ drive and right click, eject. But that is a pain.

Any help is appreciated.

Most applications weren't designed for this type of multi-user environment. Such applications need to be installed in each specific user's account to whom you wish to grant access.

First, be sure the account to which you wish to grant access is set to administrator and not limited. Install the applications to the same folder in which it was originally installed. This will look the same as one install on your HDD, but create the pointers necessary for this user to have access to the application.

Once the installation is complete, you can return the account to its limited status if that's what you want...and the user should still have access.

-=Ambush=- said:
Problem 2, since I have a stealthed drive, I use DDCD to open and close my drive, it is a simple program that is in the taskbar tray. When either limitedf accounts are on it, they can use it. Is there a way to allow them to use it? True teh can just go to thd D;\ drive and right click, eject. But that is a pain.

You can download wizmo and place it in the %windir%\system32\ directory. To find out what the program does, press windows+r type wizmo and hit enter.

Right click the desktop and select new>shortcut. For the file location, just type "wizmo cd open" then name it whatever you want. Create another shortcut, and for location, type "wizmo cd close" then name it something different.

Double clicking these files will open and close your drive - this will work regardless of user rights. This does not run in the task bar or use any resources. If you have a second removeable disk drive (R:, for example), use "wizmo cd open=R:" to open that drive.

You could also press windows+r then type wizmo.exe cd open and hit enter, and that would work too.

It also has a few different interesting features.

BTW, I use this with a customizable mouse gesture application called strokeit. I have it programmed so that if I right click and drag the mouse to the right slightly, my cd drive will open. Right click again, and drag to the left slightly, and it closes. Very neat. :D

Back