• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't read from floppy and USB drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeNry2kOoL

Registered
Something happened on my computer but I don't know what, but I can't read from my floppy or from my usb thumb drive anymore. The USB thumb drive gets detected fine, but when I try to access it from My Computer it says it is not formatted and if I want to format it right now. Same thing goes for my floppy drive, the drive goes busy and then says it's not formatted and if I want to format it right now. I've tried using system restore and chose a restore point as far back as a week ago when I did know everything was fine, and still got the same problem right after the restore. I've even tried uninstalling the floppy drive and floppy drive controller from the device manager to let it redetect again but that didn't do anything. I've ran a self-booted Linux CD to see if there was any problems with my usb and floppy controller, and in Linux I was able to read from both my floppy drive and my USB thumb drive, so I do know this isn't a hardware problem but a Windows problem. Anyone have any ideas on what could be the problem? I am one step away from doing a 'Repair' from the Windows XP CD. :confused: :bang head

Back