• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Max safe volts for my ram? Old Corsair XMS PC3200 2-3-3-6

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DumpALump

I don't know what chips are on this ram, but I have ran it with 3.1v at 230mhz 2-3-3-6. I have never tried to run it at 2-2-2-5. This is the first time I've run it with over 2.8v. I'm not sure if I should up the voltage to 3.4v or so to try and clock higher.

This ram was bought about a year ago and have no clue to what chips might be on it. I don't really want to remove the heatspreaders yet, but might later just to increase cooling ability.

Oh and would it be beneficial to remove the heatspreaders, spread artic alumina epoxy all over it, then put the heatspreaders back on?

Check out this list to find what chips your RAM has.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=308361

If your RAM has Winbond chips, it would should handle up to 3.4 volts. Samsung TCCD could probably handle it, but would not benefit. Anywhere above 3 volts, and I reccommend a fan blowing over the RAM.

Oh and would it be beneficial to remove the heatspreaders, spread artic alumina epoxy all over it, then put the heatspreaders back on?

No. The heatspreaders use thermal tape to attach to the RAM. Without the tape there would be a gap, and the heatspreaders would not touch the chips. Putting thermal epoxy on the tape after peeling the spreaders off would also be counter productive.

Thanks, yeah I figured I'd have to remove the heatspreaders.... darn.

Sorry I meant remove the frag tape and put artic alumina epoxy between the heatspreaders and the ram. That should spread the heat much better than the current solution of frag tape.

Every time I look at these lists they never have my ram. It is corsair xms pc3200 LL, with the led's. It says its v1.0 though, the spd on it is 2-3-2-6. If it is ch-5 like I'm guessing whats the best strategy for o/c these, high voltage, regular voltage, what kind of timings can I get with them?

Michael

DumpALump said:
Thanks, yeah I figured I'd have to remove the heatspreaders.... darn.

Sorry I meant remove the frag tape and put artic alumina epoxy between the heatspreaders and the ram. That should spread the heat much better than the current solution of frag tape.

Is your RAM not on that list? You won't have to remove your spreaders if it is.

Like I said before, thermal epoxy will not work in place of the tape. If your heatspreaders are like others, the thickness of the tape makes up for a gap between the chips and the spreader. Epoxy will not bridge the gap resulting in little or no contact.

larva said:
3200LL V1.0 is good 'ole BH5 :)

Thanks a lot, looks like I'm going to have to look into some different ways to get some more voltage to 'em so I can get some better timings and fsb.

Michael

go to Corsair official support forums provide ramguy with the batch/lot numbers from your XMS3200 memory labels and he can tell you exactly what memory chips you have on them

my 4x 512MB XMS3200C2v1.1 are all BH-6 and do 250-253mhz 2-2-2-6 at 3.4-3.5v on P4 platform

Back