• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help: AIM "Beach Pix" Virus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jabaro

I won't give the link because I don't want anyone to click it, but I clicked a link that said..."Click here to see my Beach Pics" and it downloaded a file that now won't let me run taskmanager, it'll open up then close in 2 seconds, and it also randomly puts up the away message that has the link i originally clicked. Searched google and came up with nothing. Also ran Trendmicro online virus scan, spybot, and ad-aware and came up empty. Can anyone help? I feel stupid.... Shoulda realized to STOP when i saw it was a pif file....

Edit:
Also won't let me run MSconfig or taskmanager through Dos. Frustrating

Last edited:
haha it made sense though because my friend had been at alki beach the night before, so I really thought they were his pics.

I found a way around it killing taskmanager though. Just copied the taskmgr.exe file out of the system32 folder, saved it to the desktop and renamed it taskmgr.com The process it runs is called "AIM client". It keeps starting at startup though, so i'll try the removal tool zip22 posted. Thanks zip.

One fantastic reason that I love GAIM and firefox. I got hooked into a similar ploy (the wording was different) and firefox asked me what to do. I said cancel, immediately both AVG and Norton popped up and said I had a virus. They cleaned themselves and my system is running happy!

AIM Fix didn't work for me first time. Had to kill the process (By doing the stuff I said above) then it worked. Still think its somehow affecting my computer though. Things aren't running as fast, and the interent seems slower. Maybe its just me thinking that though. Oh well, I needed to reformat soon anyways...

Back