• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To build or not to build, I NEED HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fallout_man

Registered
I’m planing to build(put together) another one, I’m not new at this i know a lot I feel quite confatable building it and putting it all together, its just when I think about installing the mobo, cpu, heatsink, it sends chills down my spine about stuffing up the mobo or not putting the heatsink on right or cracking the mobo(errrrrrrrr). but i know i can put the rest all together fine its just that part. But since I want to do some mods, sleeving the cables, hiding the cables, etc I don’t want to buy it built.

So I’m asking if you have any tips on installing the mobo, cpu and heatsink. But also after I install it all will I have to do any thing like installing bios, and that kind off stuff.

I could quite use your help :D.

the motherboard comes with bios already on it. if you're not sure how things fit together just be gentle.

if you use as5 keep it to a thin layer

edit: woot 6 stars!

Don’t be worried, the parts aren’t a delicate as you think.
The main thing you have to be careful of is bending the pins on the CPU, witch I did once (I dropped the heatsink on it :eek: ) but I just used a pair of tweezers and bent them back and it worked fine. :clap:
Other than that it is all simple, the ram can only "go in easily" one way and if you haven’t put the heatsink on the cpu right it will either fall off when you sit the computer up :p or when you switch the computer on and hit Delete to go into the Bios, and look at "PC Health States" you will see the temp going right up, so you mustn't have it on right.
The only other thing that can be a pain in the but is getting the Front Panel buttons and lights to work, like the Power Switch, but you will have to figure that out yourself.
Also, make sure it all works before you waste a hole heap of time trying to make it neat inside.
Good luck.

I have found that a removable motherboard tray really makes things alot easier. If you are still case shopping keep that in mind.

Just take things slow, and only use an acceptable amount of force. Unless you're tossing parts on a bathtub, or throwing them out the window, you shouldn't have issues.

Back