• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I cant think of how to title this.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TekeTorvo

Ok, I have a 20GB storage drive. I keep all my important data/music on it. What happens if that drive goes out?

Lets say I download a file, If I like it I drop it into a folder on my desktop. Is there a program/utility that will make it to where it will also go to my storage drive?

Maybe Windows XP Pro already has this option and I just dont know about it.

First off, don't keep stuff on your desktop. Not a best practice.

Save all your important data to your My Documents folder. Then you can use the built in Windows backup utility to automatically back up your data to a different hard drive or even a CD/DVD-R.

Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Backup.

Desktop was a for instance, but thanks. I will try that. Will it back up my entire drive? Will it back up every time I add or remove a file?

That creates a back up file, not the files themselves. A single, compressed file, so to speak. I would have to restore it. I am looking for a way to add a file to either place, and it go to both. Or delete and it will delete from both.

The link you speak of is only a short cut right? Thats what I had, but by dropping it into that, it only goes to the destination drive. Not to both drives. If the destination goes bad, you loose everything on that drive.

Just copy your data to both drives - no need for a program.......its simple enough.

You could just do what I do.....when you get enough data burn a CD or DVD for safe keeping.

TekeTorvo said:
The link you speak of is only a short cut right? Thats what I had, but by dropping it into that, it only goes to the destination drive. Not to both drives. If the destination goes bad, you loose everything on that drive.
My bad, I misunderstood you. Unfortunately I don't know of any way to create multiple destinations for one folder shortcut. Maybe you could edit your "right click - send to" menu to do it somehow.

Back