• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remote procedure call failed...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SmokinR6

Damn....This is the second time ive done this. I am trying to install video drivers....or any thing for that matter and I get Remote procedure call failed error. I can't remember how to fix this....any help?
thanks.

Check to make sure the "Remote Procedure Call" service hasn't been disabled...Start | Run | Type services.msc, and click OK | Scroll down to "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)", right click and select "Properties" | Make sure the "Startup type" is set to "Automatic".

Another thing you could check is in the "System Configuration Utility" (Start | Run | Type msconfig and hit OK) | "General" tab | Make sure "Normal Startup" is selected under "Startup Configuration". The error could also be caused by the blaster worm, which you can learn about at Symantec here...

W32.Blaster.Worm
W32.Blaster.Worm is a worm that exploits the DCOM RPC vulnerability (first described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026)(users are recommended to patch this vulnerability by applying Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-039) using TCP port 135. The worm targets only Windows 2000 and Windows XP machines. While Windows NT and Windows 2003 Server machines are vulnerable to the aforementioned exploit (if not properly patched), the worm is not coded to replicate to those systems. This worm attempts to download the msblast.exe file to the %WinDir%\system32 directory and then execute it. W32.Blaster.Worm does not have a mass-mailing functionality
More information available at MS here...

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026
Buffer Overrun In RPC Interface Could Allow Code Execution (823980)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.mspx

...and a link to MS03-039 here:

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-039
Buffer Overrun In RPCSS Service Could Allow Code Execution (824146)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-039.mspx

If connected to the internet, it's probably the dreaded Blaster virus. That's what people get for not using a firewall.

Thanks for the info guys....No No Blaster for ME thanks to MY Firewall...It was other services disabled that RPC needs to operate correctly...Problem solved thanks.

SmokinR6 said:
It was other services disabled that RPC needs to operate correctly
The Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service has no dependencies (it doesn't depend on other system components), although there are quite a few system components that depend on RPC. Which services did you enable to get the RPC service working?

Back