• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions Please =P

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yang88she

Well, I'm finally able to get all the essential pieces of my watercooling system together: Storm G5 (hopefully really soon), MCP 655, Thermalchill 120.3, ViperJohn WB w/ Voltmod x850xt pe (approx. 2 weeks), DIY Bong type Res., silicone hoses, and compression fitting sleeves

I've been a longtime lurker and seldom poster, I do more reading and research since I'm still learning the wonderful world of watercooling as I wait for my WB's to be finished *hint hint* =P

So during the mean time, I was hoping I would get some suggestions as far as:

-where to mount my rad.?
-type of 90-100cfm fans to run?
-do I have the push/pull method displayed correctly?
-which one of these series/rad. positions would be the best for optimal performance

Here are the great pics I made in paint:

pump2cpu2gpu2res2rad2pump16rx.jpg

pump2rad2cpu2gpu2res2pump28ed.jpg

pump2rad2cpu2gpu2res2pump33zs.jpg

pump2cpu2gpu2res2rad2pump47mv.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions

btw if there is something that I maybe missing or that I should do/think about please let me know =P

the second or third ones are your best bet. awesome kit you have there mate!

blt111 said:
the second or third ones are your best bet. awesome kit you have there mate!

thanks, I've literally been piecing it together for about a year :)

I personally wouldn't blow hot air from the radiator into the case. Can you fit the rad in the front of the case? Those 120.3's are pretty friggin big, so If you can't I would suggest mounting the rad on top, and to have the bottom fans push, top pull. Then section the top off with something so that hot air from the rest of your components doesnt reach the rad.

As for fans. I suggest Delta's or Panaflo's in the 90-100 CFM range. Anything higher and all I would go with is delta. You can always tame the delta by undervolting it if it is to noisy.

Knivez said:
I personally wouldn't blow hot air from the radiator into the case. Can you fit the rad in the front of the case? Those 120.3's are pretty friggin big, so If you can't I would suggest mounting the rad on top, and to have the bottom fans push, top pull. Then section the top off with something so that hot air from the rest of your components doesnt reach the rad.

As for fans. I suggest Delta's or Panaflo's in the 90-100 CFM range. Anything higher and all I would go with is delta. You can always tame the delta by undervolting it if it is to noisy.

ic thanks, yeah that was my dilemma...I wasn't sure what was better as far as pushing/pulling air from the outside in or vice versa...yeah I'm not able to mount the rad up front, so it's either top or bottom is my options...thanks for the suggestions

IMHO you'll be better off having the rad exhaust into the case. the air cooling the rad will be cooler than if you were using air from inside the case as suggested above, even if you "section" off the rad somehow. it is much more important to have maximum cooling on the cpu and gpu. the rest does not need as much cooling and will be absolutely fine as long as you have half decent air flow in your case. i personally would mount the rad on the bottom of the case and prop the case up on some feet

With people going from air to water I find that they over worry about what their case temps will be. While it is indeed true you don't want some insanely high case temps, a few C's temp difference between ambient and case (6c for me, ambient is ~24C case is 30C) will not significantly hinder a computer. Not to mention, for me my case temps have decreased, from 38C down to 30C. I think that is because my ventilation doesn't suck anymore, went from like 2 crappy undervolted fans two 2 100cfm fans@5 or 6v, which likely more than doubles my case's airflow. I am also a firm believer of utilizing the bottom of the case for the radiator or heater core, mainly because you need one thing over your video card when/if you convert it over to water-cooling, and that is airflow over the ram. You can also build a sub enclosure so you can end up with many times the surface area of the fans on your rad/hc for your filters.
This is how my system is configured.
http://www.ocforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40182
http://www.ocforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40178

yeah that's something I'm really leaning toward sunrunner20, btw do you have anymore pics of your bottom enclosure?

thanks again

I'd go with the Second pic you has posted. Cleaner routing of the tubing.

And draw the air form the outside. Just like you have it.

thanks, I havn't decided on the reservoir or T-line yet, but if I went w/ the T-line, it should go right before the inlet to the pump right?

btw, those of you like myself who have been waiting on their Storm G5...according to Cathar (from another forum) they're being packaged up n ready to ship as of today...so hopefully we will all be receiving a confirmation e-mail soon to send out the rest of the deposit.

(crosses fingers)

I like the t-line idea. Its inside the case (better for portablility) and i think it will be a lot cleaner install, and will also use less tubing!!.

I would also mount the radiator on the bottom. This will allow for the colder air to hit the radiator from the push fans and should allow for more effective cooling. Also you wont get the heat from the components inside the case going over the rad.

Well I've been looking around for 120mm fans:

-Delta Fans are a lil out of my price range, considering I'll be purchasing 6 fans

So I'm a lil on the fence betwee the panaflows Here

The Sunon's Here

or the Thermaltakes Here

thanks again for any input

yang88she said:
Well I've been looking around for 120mm fans:

-Delta Fans are a lil out of my price range, considering I'll be purchasing 6 fans

So I'm a lil on the fence betwee the panaflows Here

The Sunon's Here

or the Thermaltakes Here

thanks again for any input

in my oppinion, the quieter the better for the health. And since your getting 6 of them... definately get ones that are silent. I have a 57 db fan in my computer room running almost 24/7 and man, i cannot stand it.

Back