• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First watercooling build, please review components!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I get annoyed with the Yate Loon High's (D12SH-12's), Mediums or Lows are much more pleasant on the ear, just food for thought. Looks like you did your research and have asked plenty of good questions, nice work! :thup:

Also, 275-300w is high for the CPU. Realistically, 200w is plenty, but the high side estimate will just mean lower water temps, which is always a good thing. :)

edit: Mort, everything is G1/4 now unless the description says G3/8... to my knowledge only a couple products out there by Bitspower that use G3/8.

m0r, ask the gold question over at XS, you'll get a better answer than I and other can give. I think it's a mountain. Never heard of gold causing problems.

I don't have an XS accnt...it's a bit too much of a cluster f@*# over there for me...I read it but don't think I could comment. My concerns stem from this thread, specifically, this post. I've always found quiet to be on top of his stuff, and I don't know enough chem to even have an opinion on this...maybe quiet can come in and clear it up :)

I get annoyed with the Yate Loon High's (D12SH-12's), Mediums or Lows are much more pleasant on the ear, just food for thought. Looks like you did your research and have asked plenty of good questions, nice work! :thup:

Also, 275-300w is high for the CPU. Realistically, 200w is plenty, but the high side estimate will just mean lower water temps, which is always a good thing. :)

edit: Mort, everything is G1/4 now unless the description says G3/8... to my knowledge only a couple products out there by Bitspower that use G3/8.

I went with the D12SH-12 from your review on the SR1--it seemed to be the best performance compromise between the low speed and really high speed YLs--especially given that the SR1s are better for the lower speed fans (as opposed to the GTX Extreme 360). I also don't want screaming fans, but I think the mid-speed (from your review, believe the D12SH-12 is 1800 RPM?) should be workable.

I figured the 275-300W figure would be high, but in my inexperience, I decided to go on the safe side for now.

Thanks for the compliment, and your site is great!

I went with the D12SH-12 from your review on the SR1--it seemed to be the best performance compromise between the low speed and really high speed YLs--especially given that the SR1s are better for the lower speed fans (as opposed to the GTX Extreme 360). I also don't want screaming fans, but I think the mid-speed (from your review, believe the D12SH-12 is 1800 RPM?) should be workable.

I figured the 275-300W figure would be high, but in my inexperience, I decided to go on the safe side for now.

Thanks for the compliment, and your site is great!

Yeah, I fully understand the rationale, I just have become tired of listening to Yate Highs... you can always get a fan controller and turn them down if higher rpm noise they make bothers you. 1350 is about the sweet spot to my ear. :)

Thanks, just glad you found it valuable in your efforts! Good luck on the build, just remember to take it nice and slow. If you get at all frustrated just walk away for a bit, no need to rush. :thup:

Interesting. Thanks for digging this up--I need to go sift through some of my old material science textbooks and do a bit of reading.

I may need to revise my list again based upon this input. At the same time, the cooling configurator on EK's site does not list the gold as compatible with my hardware. Perhaps this is merely an oversight on EK's part?

As an aside--are there any current books out on water cooling / PC mods (that aren't too outdated, say published within the past 2 yrs)

I'd like to pick one up and do some pre-reading before I get started

Thanks

No books. It's a subset of a subset of a subset of .....

Not enough would sell. And 2 years is like FOREVER as things change. It's all basic science. Flow rate, temps, noise. Pretty basic.

All we can do is pass on our current links and your Google ability. Joining 2-5 forums with good, informed WC'ers and reading lots of posts is another way to learn.

Could be an oversight on EK's, but it's not an issue. Gold is fine.

This forum and XS forums are the only two I fully trust, there is 1-2 more that aren't bad.

I don't know of any books...but there is our sticky, the sticky at XS, and skinneelabs.com, between all those you might as well have a book :D

I don't know of any books...but there is our sticky, the sticky at XS, and skinneelabs.com, between all those you might as well have a book :D

No worries, Mort--it was mostly only to get me away from the computer screen for a while!

As I'm looking at various build logs, I found something I may not have thought of

Does the EK CPU block come with a backplate, or will I need to track one down elsewheres?

I mentioned this in another thread, but I'm still a bit lost on how to drain my system.

I know that I can add a tee fitting in a strategic spot, but how do I go about getting ALL of the fluid out of my loop? It seems that no matter where I put a drain, there will always be some fluid left in a few of the parts.

Is it good enough to put the drain as low as possible, drain the system, and then let it sit for 24 hrs or so to dry out a bit? Just don't want to go pull off a WB and have water drip onto some critical component!:bang head

even if it does drip, so long as your computer's off it shouldn't kill anything. That said, lung power goes a long way...

Ok folks

I have ordered most of the fittings (from sidewinder) and reservoir (microcenter) and thermal paste.

My plan is to order the case this week, but before I drop $400+ on this sucker, I'd like to get everybody's input on it and make sure it seems feasible.

I don't anticipate any major issues, as I believe I've though this out pretty carefully, but none-the-less, please give me your thoughts. I'm mainly concerned with layout, cable and hose management, and the ability to make it look neat inside.

In general, I plan to layout as follows:

Three 120.3s on the front panel. PSU on the bottom back panel behind the mobo. Pump mounted to the bottom of the case behind mobo. Reservoir mounted either to a couple of the fan holes on the back panel or on one of the rads on the front. Finally, the HDDs will go in one of the fan holes on the back panel (using MMs HDD mounting bracket that requires the fanhole)

Thank you

Attachments

• Mountain Mods Ascension.jpg
    Mountain Mods Ascension.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 105
Back